Multiple Sclerosis Community
First Signs?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

First Signs?

Hello, I was just wondering what the first symptoms some of you on here had, and how often did you experience the symptoms?  Also, do any of you have relatives with MS - have you noticed it being genetic?
My father was diagnosed in his 50s. My teenage daughter has recently had numbness in her feet/legs, hands/arms, and her nose every once in a while, and she has experienced lightheadedness and dizzy spells on and off for over a year.  
The MS thought just entered my mind, but I don't want to voice it out loud and freak her out.
Hi and welcome,

It might not help very much to read first symptoms (sx's), because individual MS sx's vary so much, that each person with MS is said to be unique. The most common researched sx leading up to a dx of MS are the visual signs eg Optic neuritis, Nystagmus, diplopia etc  

MS isn't known to be genetic, its more common to be the only person in the family to be dxed with MS, twin studies etc etc and paediatric MS is very rare, so the likelihood of your teen daughter's sensory issues actually being MS is quite low. MS has many mimics, and most 'wide spread' sensory sx's are more commonly caused eg vit B, iron, allergy, circulation, anxiety, viral etc than an actual chronic medical condition.

If you think there maybe something to be concerned about, take her for a general check up with your family dr.

Cheers........JJ

Well firstly, as JJ says, everybody's symptoms vary so much but I think there are quite a lot of 'common' ones such as numbness, tingling etc.
I remember getting random pins & needles, tingling, numbness years ago and would do to the gp only to be told it was a pinched nerve etc.
My first official presenting symptom was optic neuritis.
Nobody in my family has MS but I have several relatives with auto-immune conditions and my neuro is interested in that link.
There are lots of other possible causes of your daughter's symptoms so maybe take her for a check-up. I must say though that if she did have ms, I think you'd find things are changing all the time as new drugs are licensed and there is so much research being conducted. It isn't the end of the world if you're given an ms diagnosis.
I hope you get things sorted, all the best, Zoe
Numbness, dizziness, and lightheadedness absolutely were symptoms for me early (I've never had significant vision problems). However, in my case the numbness presented on just one side. I think bilateral presentation is uncommon early in MS, so I'm inclined to think it's not MS here. A few simple tests will probably take MS out of the picture, and I hope those tests bring answers.

My MS has no known genetic component,  but there is evidence that genes contribute to the disease. You are wise to bring your family history into the discussion.
Hi AS-

My first symptom bilateral numbness in my feet. It extended up to about mid-shin.

As others have mentioned, there is no proven genetic link to MS. Anecdotally it seems that having a first degree relative (sibling or parent) with MS increases the likelihood of developing MS.

I'd be more focused on finding out what's causing your daughter's issues and less worried about sounding alarms :-) you don't need to speculate, just say it's time to find answers. I would start with a neurologist. If that neurologist happens to be an MS specialist, well...

Welcome to our group.

Kyle
Hi there, my presenting symptoms were a quadrantic vision field loss in both eyes which is not typically found in MS. I also presented with cognitive issues.

So far, no numbness or tingling.

Corrie
Hello:

I was Dx after ON and lip/chin/tongue numbness. Although, my presenting symptom was likely bilateral foot numbness a year earlier.

Eric
Thanks everyone for responding! I didn't/won't mention the possibility to her - I just had the thought and decided asking people that are experiencing it would be the best route. Yes, we certainly need to keep plugging away at figuring her out :~) she actually has an appt next week with a nurse practitioner for something else, but I plan on speaking to her first and getting her opinion on some things.  Much as I hate it, I think I need to start pushing for blood work to be done - she's a fainter just at the sight of the needle!