Multiple Sclerosis Community
First physical therapy session next day can't move

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I had my first PT session for a half hour on Tuesday for a half hour.
She has me do some exercises which proved to be too much for my back.

Next day, I can't rise from a chair or walk without extreme pain in left hip.
They said I have been using my left hiptoliftup my leg due to drop foot.
This is caused by the MS.  

They said I will need an AFO because I am going to eventually fall even though I use both crutches to walk.

One of the exercises was to do a bridge.
This is when I lay flat inky back and lift up my butt off the table.

I could only liftitaboutan inch but she had me do about twenty.

Is it possible that it stirred something up.
I almost feel like it is sciatica.  I had that with my second pregnancy and it was a nightmare.

I have enough trouble getting around without sciatic pain.
I thought PT was supposed to help.

Thanks everyone.

Kerri
My main complaint from the beginning of my journey has been lower back pain.  It feels like a raw open nerve.  It is definitely from spinal lesions.  Doctors ran ever test in the book only to continue thinking I was 1.  a drug seeker or 2. a big baby as only a bit of arthritis showed.

When I do PT, I TELL them what I will and won't do.  They don't pay the price.  I do.  I suggest next time letting them know that type of exercise is off limits.  If you are not sure let them start slowly...like maybe five.  I think twenty is excessive given you had just started.

Personally, I wouldn't be very happy with the service and begin being a rather LOUD advocate for myself.
Always tell the PT if the therapy you're doing is painful.  Don't let them boss you around!
Ditto!

Always tell them if you are in pain. My therapist always does things to my tolerance level and SLOWLY advances.

As for the AFO...I was going to give you a direct but there are so many. Go to "Search this Community" on this page in the upper right hand column. Search for  'foot drop AFO' you will find pages of such information.

Feel better,
Ren
Wow!  Does this sound like what happened to me a few weeks ago.  I started therapy a few weeks ago.  A few days after, I experienced some of the most excruciating pain I have ever felt in my left hip.  I tried to explain this to them, but they just told me to "work through the pain".  BS!!!!

I agree with everyone else; don't let them tell you, you should tell them.  They are not the one's who have to deal with the aftermath.  (I guess I should take my own advice, lol!)

I also got an AFO a few weeks ago.  I have mixed feelings about it.  If you can, you should maybe shoot for a custom made one.  I have a stock AFO because I cannot afford to pay for the custom one right now.  I think it would be a lot better though.

Take care,
Sarah
Thanks everyone.  I see the pt again tomorrow and I will definately let her know what I am not going to do.  

Another weird thing that happened the day after the session was I was getting up from a chair and heard my left hip crunch.

Any takers on that one?

I appreciate all of your feedback.

Thanks.  I'll keep you posted.

Kerri
hi kerri
i can so relate to your pain !!
when i first had physio i was just like you in so much pain and disconfort and could not raise from sitting .cos i did what they told me to do
i have suffered with back pain for a very long time like sumann and they thought it was just a bad back ??? how wrong they were i now have ppms.
please dont let them push you around you alone know your limits.
just take your time i do physio twice a week now and look forward to it.
it helps to keep me mobile and helps with my posture wich helps with my spasms.
good luck hope this helps
regards mick
Thanks Mick.

I have PT today and will ask her to explain her plan for me as well as what each exercise is intended to do,

The problem s that what she had me do was minimal and I had no idea that it would cause the pain.

Thanks for your support.

Kerri