Multiple Sclerosis Community
Flashing in eyes

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Flashing in eyes

Firstly to say I am not diagnosed with MS as yet, just with Clinically Isolated Syndrome with lesions on my spine and brain.

I was wondering if it was anything that for a while now I have had flashing in my eyes, mostly when I look at something blank like a ceiling. It is in the lower field of my vision and a bit at the sides too. It is not like migraine aura as I know what this is like. I suffered with migraines until I was a teenager.

It has become a little worse of late, it doesn't really affect my vision so its not a problem, its just annoying. I also permanently have floaters but can only see them when I look at something bright like a out of a window in day light.
Suzie, it's possible that the flashing in your eyes is due to ON, but it can also be due to other serious problems like a detached or torn retina or uveitis.  You should set up an appointment with an ophthalmologist right away.  Whatever is causing the flashing, you should see an eye doctor ASAP.  

Deb
I went for an eye exam and everything was fine and my vision is perfect.

I'm glad there is nothing wrong but still have the flashing in my vision so I don't know what it could be.
Do you have low blood pressure?  I have also been told that you can get weird visual stuff with migraines.  

It sure is a good sign that your vision is a perfect!  I bet that is a relief!  

Did you see an ophthalmologist? He or she is a medical doctor, not an optometrist or optician (don't know the terminology in the UK). The non-medical eye doctors are great for analyzing vision and prescribing corrective glasses, but are not trained to look for neurological diseases of the eye.

ess
I went to an optician. The test seemed thorough, I know they can tell if you have Optic Neuritis and I had no inflammation of the optic nerve but I'm not sure how much of the nerve they can see.

I use to have migraines as a child with the aura as I mentioned above and it is definitely not like that. This is there all time but isn't noticeable all the time. But if I think about it I can see it in the lower field of my Vision.

I am just going to leave it and see someone if it gets worse. Least I know its nothing serious with my eyes.
Hi Suzie,

Don't wait too long Suzie!

Probably not mentioned this to you lately, and you probably know what I'm going to say here but saying it again for good measure "just" CIS is far too minimizing!

I sooo wish they treated CIS in the UK!

To me, this can't be ruled out as a flare unless you get a thorough exam. Are you able to get in w/you Dr?

-Shell
I'm not Dx'd or anything, but I have been having that flashing light in the left side of my left eye off and on for years now. I have been to an ophthalmologist twice now for it, (once very recently), and still no problems found.

I was just curious, what color do you see. I more often see blue, but sometimes purple or yellow.
Firstly I feel reluctant to see my neuro. Last time I had some problems I went in and the MS nurse said it looked like I would get my diagnosis. I had a repeat MRI and nothing showed and did not get a diagnosis. My neuro said only come in if something significant happens like MS hug or Optic neuritis so this eye thing and my balance and other issues I'm just making a note of until my next appointment in November.

As to what colour the flashes are, they are not really a colour at all. I'm really bad at explaining things. Its kind of like a candle flickering in your peripheral vision.
Oh, missed out. My blood pressure is normal.