Multiple Sclerosis Community
Flashing lights

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Flashing lights

Does anyone here know what causes "flashes" of lights in a person's peripheral vision?  I have been having this for a few months now, not as bad now as when it started, but it is still there.  It happens mostly when I move my eyes, but sometimes even when I turn my head.  I vaguely remember my neuro saying something about ON, but I am not sure.  I never had any eye pain or anything else (loss of or blurry vision) to suggest ON.  

Thanks for any suggestions on what this may be and what I may do to get rid of it.  It is really annoying!  On a side note, it is amusing for other people around me when it happens.  They must be able to tell that I am "seeing" things, and they look at me like I am crazy!  It's pretty funny, I have to laugh :)
Sara,
It is important to go to the ophthalmologist If you tell them that you are seeing flashes of lights most likely they will work you in. I went to an ophthalmologist just to see about my flashes of light, and they told me it was an emergency, your retina could possibly detach. It it possible to be without pain and have ON. When I went it was simmilar, having lightening flashes when I turned my head, I told my boyfriend one night " wow, did you see that lightening?"....He didn't. It was only me I didn't have much change in vision either, but occasionally a floater here and there.
If you are already diagnosed with MS, You might ask your neuro if they can recommend a good neuro-ophthalmologist or just an ophthalmologist. It may be important if they work together as a team to determine if this is a relapse or exacerbation.
did you call a Dr for this?  Let us know how you are feeling and if you found answers.

take care
wobbly