Multiple Sclerosis Community
Food getting stuck halfway down

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Food getting stuck halfway down

Lately I'm having more of that lovely experience of food getting stuck after it has gone about halfway down.  I hate that sensation!!  I can't bring it up or get it down.  It just hangs in there feeling like it's starting to go up and then starting to go down.  I feel like I'm going to throw up or pass out. It does not interfere with breathing - it just feels funky!  Feels like esophageal spasms.

I made an appointment with the ENT's office to have that little scope dropped down and pictures taken.  

It doesn't happen every day, but is happening more often than before.  I may resort to living on ice cream.

WAF
I feel some of the same sensations at time when I'm trying to eat my food, drink my water, etc. or even just trying to swallow. It's very odd and the more I read up on this, it seems like many of those with MS experience it, and I have also heard someone term it as being esophageal spasms too. I don't have it all the time, off and on really, but I've noticed it more this week than anything, and also I've had more blurred and double vision. It's like I REALLY have to focus on what I'm looking at and repetitively blink for my vision to be clearer.

~A
As cheesernurse said, it could very well be an esophageal spasm that is causing this.  I have esophageal spasms and have had problems with food getting stuck.

You may want to see a Gastroenterologist rather than an ENT.  They will probably do an endoscopy and a motility test.  The motility test is not conclusive, unless you are having a spasm when they perform the test but it will help them determine if there is a problem with the act of swallowing.

There are a number of medications that they will try - I tried 3 before having success with treating the spasms.  I am taking a calcium channel blocker (which is usually used to treat high blood pressure), and it helps by relaxing the muscles in the esophagus.

Another cause can be a narrowing of the esophagus (typically caused by acid reflux) and in January I had my esophagus dilated, which has helped some.

An ice cream diet sounds good to me!   :) But, in the meantime, try taking very small bites of food & chewing them very well.

Good luck!
Chrisy
undx'd