Multiple Sclerosis Community
Foot/ankle pain...MS/neuro symptom??

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Foot/ankle pain...MS/neuro symptom??

The last couple of weeks I have noticed a big increase in my left side body symptoms....the 'one' symptom I have been having is starting to concern me....at first I didn't think it was related to MS/neuro symptoms, but now I am not so sure. So I thought I would ask if this has ever happened to any of you....

Sometimes while I am walking.....out of no where....in my left ankle/foot area...I will get a weird sharp pain...(quick-come-and-go but NOT electric)  It happens so fast, that when I step down my foot/ankle gives out....it is like I temporarily can't put any weight on it or walk.....and seems that the front part of my foot "drops" forward when I lift my foot up as you would when taking a step. This is so hard to explain because it all happens so fast.

What worries me is....it is becoming more and more frequent. When it does happen I have no warning. Today I almost fell. I haven't injured my leg, foot or ankle. I have never experienced this "kind" pain before....even when I sprained my ankle years ago. My ankle is perfectly normal and painfree until I get these attacks.

Any ideas? Could this be MS related. I see my MS specialist on the 26th and I am currently making a list of new symptoms. I don't know if I should even mention this to him.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Laurie :)
Haha, I am in Limboland so I have no idea if it could be MS-related or not, but for the last few days I've had something very similar happening with my left ankle.  It doesn't happen all the time, but I can be walking and then there's a sharp pain, like I've hurt it only I haven't.

I hope someone else chimes in.  I don't know whether or not it is something to include on my timeline either.

Hugs,
Minnie  :)
I too have that, also in limboland. I went to the er they x-rayed it and it showed some inflimation, this was my left ankle. Approx. 5 months later it hapened in my right anlke. Dr. checked for gout but was negitave. Im kinda curious as to what is going on also. Hugs, Thoughts and Prayers.
I am wondering if this is foot drop. This is unfortunately an MS related symptom. Web search foot drop and see if this relates to you, or check out the health pages about it.

I have been diagnosed with Ms. Fortunately my only symptom in the foot and ankle area is that I scuff my foot a lot and have weak motion when drawing the foot up towards myself, sometimes it shakes with the effort. Hope you get the answer you are looking for. I would definateley mention it to your neurologist. Take care
Thank you for posting your reply. I have an appointment with an MS Specialist on March 27th and I do have the scuffing. In fact, the right sole came off my favorite pair of Nikes a couple days ago.

It has been pointed out to me in the past and sometimes I catch myself stepping high like a Tennessee Walking Horse to keep from dragging my feet.

I guess I will mention it in my timeline.

Thanks again, hugs, Minnie