Multiple Sclerosis Community
Freaked out - is this ALS? Quix?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Freaked out - is this ALS? Quix?

I just got finished with my EMG and NCV and needless to say they were abnormal.  The neuro did the EMG himself and was able to capture the vibration in my left foot on the machine.  He said after finding it that it raised quite a few more questions and asked me to find out if I had any "muscle diseases" in my family hx even distant relatives.  He mentioned myoclonis, and muscular dystrophy etc.  He did not specifically say ALS, but I am very afraid.  I have my follow up to review the tests next Wednesday but need a little reassurance before then to make it through.

Does anyone on this board have ALS and have sx of vibrations, weakness, blurry vision, tremors, slurred speech etc?

Thanks for listening  -  I could use a valium right now, wish it could stop the vibrating.

Kristin
Don't worry!

We will be here.  Whatever you go through.    I know you are afraid.  But you don't know what it is yet.   From what I have found out, ALS has NO sensory symptoms.  No vibrations.  No pins and needles.  No numbness.  NOTHING sensory.  Does that give you relief?  I am quite sure of this.  

Whatever it is, we are here.

Feel well and hang in there.  Sending you His Light,

Chris*
ALS is not considered one of the muscular diseases, like MD, mysathenia gravis, myoclonus, etc.  It is an Upper/Lower Motor NEURON disease.  The neuro would not have mixed them up.  He is looking at diseases of the muscle and neuro-muscular junction.

And Chris is right, ALS is purely motor and does not have sensory (paresthesias).  No your course has never sounded like ALS.  Quix
I am so glad Quix confirmed this!   Thanks, Quix!  I am glad you are at least getting closer to some answers here.  I know it's scary.  Keep us posted.

Chris*
Thank you both so much for the much needed reassurance!!  I really appreciate all your help and support!  

I will wait patiently until next Wednesday but do some research on those other diseases in the meantime.

Kristin
Best sites:

Muscular Dystrophy and all Muscular Diseases

http://www.mda.org/main.html

For Movement disorders like RLS or Myoclonus

http://www.wemove.org/

Quix
Thanks so much for the links!  I did not realize how many Dystrophies there were and that many can have an onset of adulthood.  

I know you cannot diagnose over the internet but do you think it sounds muscular or do you think the muscular vibration that he picked up would be caused by the nerve?  Would the SEP have picked that up?  

He said the SEP was abnormal for both legs I think but the right was slower than the left and I think the NCV basically repeated those findings.  He found the vibration on my left foot when he did the EMG  -  he tried to find it in my right thumb since I have numbness there but he could not reproduce it there.  

I know you have answered alot of posts today and are probably at the end of your energy timeframe.  If you could think about this and let me know if I appear to be going in the right direction over the next few days I would really appreciate it.  

PS.  Thanks for your post about the LD it was very informative and detailed.  

Take care!
Kristin  
You're sweet, thanks.  You guessed I was upset.  Q