Multiple Sclerosis Community
Frequent urination

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Frequent urination

AS many of you have read, I was recently Dx with MS.  For the past week, I have been going ang going to theRR.  I go just before bed, and for the first hour, I getup at leist 4 times.  During the day, it is more manageable, but once I go, i need to go again within 30-45 min.  The urge is strong!

After my first baby (a severly traumatic delivery), I almost could not make myself go.  My Dr and I decided that it was just form the delivery.  I lasted on and off for over a year.  Now I am at the other extream.  I am wondering if i was not just suffering from MS symptoms then.

Does this sound like MS to you?  Is there anything that I can do?

Opie
HI Opie

For some with MS urination problems can be a problem. You should go see a
urologist and be evaluated for this asap.

There is also another problem not related to MS but called Urinary Stenosis Meatus.
basically it is a narrowing of the urethra. and may have to be streched.

your symtoms (symptoms) sound similar to this.   it could be caused by low hormones.
its an in office procedure and its not that bad.  but can offer great relief.

All in all I hope you will got reffered to  the specialist they will know  best.
do ask about the latter disorder I mentioned as well as the fact that you have
been dx with MS.  

Warkitten2008
I have frequent problems with urination.  Difficulty in getting the muscles to relax, urgency (when it's time to go, I gotta go - or I'm going to have an accident.)  And today I coughed and wet my pants!  I think that's known as stress incontinence - but I haven't had any kids, so I'm blaming it on muscle weakness.

Some of my symptoms have stuck around, some have gone away... so it's really just a case of wait and see.  I'd say wait a while and see if it's still a problem in a month.
Hi Opie,

I agree you need to see a Urologist... I first noticed the frequent urination problem after my first big attack in '04. I started keeping count as to the number of times I went and it just kept being more and more .. I also had incontinence during this time but that went away quickly.  

They put me on oxybutynin (Ditropan), which worked but then the MonSter turned around and I started to have bladder retention. This is know as dyssynergic, or mixed, bladder

So you need to have it checked out because it can get serious if you start to get UTI's from it or you start retaining and you can't tell .

JJFL
Hi!

I am new to this board after just being diagnosed with MS on Tuesday.

This whole mess started with frequent urination.  I would pee upstairs and have to pee again by the time I got downstairs.  I'm up a minimum of 4 times a night. Finally went to a urologist, and he found that I was retaining a minimum of 200cc of urine in my bladder. Thinking it was a blockage, he put me on Flomax.  Urodynamic testing indicated that my sphincter muscle was tightening with urination rather than relaxing, normally found in spinal injuries, so he sent me for t and l spine MRI's and put me on Baclofen. The tspine showed a possible lesion, so the urologist sent me to the neurologist, who has now diagnosed the MS.  The urination issue, by the way, is the only symptom I have associated with MS.

What I'm getting at, is the neurologist has referred me to a pain specialist who implants neurostimulators for bladder retention and frequency.  She says her MS patients that have gotten this neurostimulator claim a world of difference.  As a nurse, I have had patients that have had them (although I don't know if they had MS), and have raved about them.

Just some food for thought.
Hi Opie,
It sure does sound like a neurogenic bladder to me, just like mine.  I have everything - frequency, urgency, hesitancy, retention.... the urologist has me self-cathing now 4 times daily and it does seem to help.    Bladder and bowel problems are a very common problem with MS patients.  

Hi cuttersmom, Welcome to our forum.  I hope you will start a new post and introduce yourself to our community.  This is a wise group who loves to share.  

The neurostimulator is something I discussed with my urologist and then questioned my neuro about it as well.  If you get this implant, you can NOT HAVE MRI's.... that is a pretty big trade off if you are wanting to know whether your DMD's are slowing the progression or what else is happening in your brain and spine.  For now my neuro says no to the neurostimulator.

Urinary problems are a frequent discussion here and if you want to read more, just type it into the search box.  

Be well, Lulu
No dx here, so may not be of help but I had retention with full bladder for 2 days in am, followed by frequency the whole day/and night.  I just did not drink anything after 7-8 bc I was afraid I would have to keep getting up and down.

Also, sometimes I feel like I don't have the 'I have to pee signal'  like I just know it's prob time so I sit down and go. Or a time when it's 'hurry up and go'. I was reading something about retraining the bladder.  Did you ever try anything like that? I hope somebody can help you, better than I but here is a link I was reading when I was having issues.
http://www.wdxcyber.com/retraining.htm
Thanks!  I thought that I was loosing my mind.  I had my neuro followup today (new thread).  He suggested that I see my Gyno to rule out UTI and see if there are any structural abnormalities.  He advised that nothing is found to go to the Urinologist.  I can't STAND an exam down there by an unknown MD.

Opie ann
3am been to pee over 10 times since midnight, started with a relapse 2 days ago when my right leg gave way fell over and knocked myself out cold, almost zero grip in my right hand and feels like I'm walking on a sponge need to keep testing it's actually on the floor, right eye is zooming in and out of focus and to top it off I live in bulgaria where ms is seen as an affliction similar to lepracy in biblical days, getting to the point where I just wanna die.... 40 yr old male at his wits end!
Are you being treated by a neurologist? If so, definitely tell him/her about these developments. It's possible that a course of methylprednisolone is appropriate, or perhaps various symptomatic medications. But don't forget that we are not immune to other health issues. Given the frequent need for night-time urination, a prostate check-up may be a good idea.

The comment re: leprosy is surprising. One is a contagious but curable disease, caused by a bacteria, and most notable for its outwardly visible skin complications. The other is... none of the above. At a huge stretch, there is an immune system response component to both (granulomas with leprosy, scleroses with MS), but I fail to see how an entire population could get it so wrong! I would definitely speak up when people say things that are so very mistaken.