Multiple Sclerosis Community
GAS!!!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

GAS!!!

Might as well make it clear. Does anyone have trouble with huge amounts of gas? Like, hot air balloon amounts?* Especially people who have never had this kind of problem before, but now it's just become a permanent (and embarrassing, like "I don't want to work around other people" embarrassing) part of their lives?

Thanks,
Bio

*Note: I am not necessarily asking this question on behalf of myself. I *could* be asking for a reluctant friend. Right? RIGHT?

I have a *friend* who agrees that this is an insufferable problem.  She says squeezing her cheeks doesn't always help, in fact it rarely helps.

Her GI doctor is of no help.

this *friend* sometimes passes enough wind to float a fleet of sailboats.

my friend commisserates with you!
Lu
My, er... friend thinks it makes her feel old.  She can't cough or sneeze without a little poot.  Or a big bag of poot.  And some days it feels like she's full of air, just like the hot air balloon you describe.  Fortunately, she's not a big meat eater, so they don't smell too badly... otherwise I couldn't hang out with her!  ;-)

Maybe it's beause of weak muscles in the rectum.  Maybe it's a digestive balance problem in the colon.  Who knows!
Okay nobody knows me on this forum... well not face to face.
I have always suffered from GAS!  Like it has always been a me thing and if I don't go and get rid of it I end up with pains and I have tried modifying what I eat etc. with no success

BUT since I have had numbness in my groin, vagina and butt etc. it just leaks or squeeks out or should I say it can THUNDER out!!!

One day I was with a very well to do client at work and I got up and it THUNDERED out.. I tried to pretend it didn't happen, and I hoped that she didn't hear it but I know she did, I think everyone heard it, the other girl's I work with ran away dying with laughter.

I know pelvic floor can help with keeping things in, but I do struggle with both bladder and wind..lol, the wind is not new but the ability to keep a lid on it is. but I have numbness in this area too so suspect this is why. I dare not bring it up with the Dr. I also have concerns now about wetting myself when I am being intimate, not sure if anyone else has this problem..? SOryy Bio.. invading your thread.

Have you changed your diet?  Certain foods like dairy make me more like to let a big one rip.. I do pelvic floor exercises now ten times a day in the hope that it might help with something but I might need in the future to sum up the courage and talk to someone about all this....lol
Cheers,
Udkas.
Wow, WOW.... I have found a place where I definitely feel comfortable. :)  Yes, I know what you are talking about with gas.  Does anyone else's intestines make enough noise that it could be confused with a symphony?  I battle with this problem often.  

Udkas - I know exactly what you are speaking about - I spoke to the Dr (urologist) about the intimate thing and you now what he said?  Basically said oh don't worry, that's female ejaculation (sorry, don't want to seem too brazen but we're adults and that's what is it medically called) - nothing to worry about, just make sure you put towels down.  Ummm okay, that makes me feel better?!?  What I don't get is I can go from having to catherize to that.... talk about confusing.

Anyway, back to this subject, yeah, when gas (petroleum) prices were up I sure wished I could have used THIS natural gas to power my car. hehe

All the best,
Chezbug
(not dx with MS yet, waiting on 2nd MRI of brain)
Gas-X works great for me, even though I saw some study or something that said it doesn't work. Well, it does for me (almost always).

I do take three at a time instead of two. Sometimes I have to take another dose 2-3 hours later.

I HAVE to keep things under control because I work in a public library in very close quarters with staff and patrons. Every time I think I'm safely alone in the shelves and let fly, someone comes along immediately... and with no one else in the vicinity, my pretensions of nonchalance are useless. (With siblings, you can say stuff like "He who accuses, blew the fuses!" but that doesn't go over well with library patrons.)

I also find that a very bland diet--little in the way of whole grains, vegetables, fruit (especially apples), fried foods, and absolutely NO raw onions or dried fruit--will keep that problem at bay. As I've gotten older I also find that I get diarrhea very easily--one large pear, for example, or one serving of many vegetables, will often cause it. Salmon, too--all the good stuff. :(

Nancy
I too know someone(ahem) that experiences that problem. Theres no holding it in which makes it interesting during prayer at church. Thankfully this person(ahem) has a husband to blame it on & he generally hates going to public places with said person (again ahem).
I have had a problem with propulsion my entilre life.  Just call me the queen of gass!  I have IBS with constipation.  My gastero., at first, told me to eat more fiber and come back in 6 weeks.  I tried to follow suit.  I distinctly remember on day after a bowl of All Bran....I was an entire pants size bigger, and in agouny.  6 Gas-X later and a bike ride in the back of the pack and things were getting better.  On the return visit to the droctor, I said, " If I can't pass $##T, what makes you think that I can expell gass either?"  I would rather have that problem, than it leaking out at the wrong times, but the bloating...

Ok, this is what I learned last night.  For all of those who like me and can't get rid of the gass until we are changing our size 12's for the 16's in the closet, avoid undigestible, gass causing fibers.  Psylium (medamucil) is a good example, as well as all bran, Rasain Bran and the like; but the new one for me is Splenda!!!!!  I have been having horrible digestive problems, and two different friends last night told me that their gasterointerologist said to cut out the Splenda!  Went with the real stuff in my coffee this morning.  I hope this helps!   I do miss Rasain Bran :-(

So, when I cut out the above, what amI suposed to do for fiber?  I eat fruit, prunes, and vegies.  I have had to cut back on the raw vegies, my favorite.  The IBS needs the fiber, and the ole digestive tract cant deal with the by-product.  I take Mira-Lax everyday.  It sure beats the All-Bran!
Can't relate too much with the large amts of gas.  I eat veggies, fruit, whole grains, and a little bit of meat and fish. NOTHING processed or with additives.  No white sugar or white flour.

As an aside (humorous), we in the guitar world suffer from G.A.S (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome).  The only thing that relieves it is Frequent Acquisition Retail Therapy (you work out the acronym).

Cheers,
Guitar_grrrl
Guitar, that's my diet as well (in general), and...here I am. It's a new development for me, not something that has ever been a problem before.

Bio
I too have been having a lot of trouble with gas lately...between me and the puppy we can always blame each other...he he he

HOWEVER...I was watching "The Doctors" tv show the other night and they said that the best food to eat to avoid gas is...WHITE RICE!!!  Well I tried it and it really helps me...might be worth a try...especially if you are working in a library...he he.

I also tried GasX but it didn't help me a whole lot.  By the way, apparently it is normal to pass gas 10-40 times per day, otherwise we would blow up like a hot air balloon...this according to "The Doctors" as well.  So I would say don't worry about it too much, eat lots of white rice and make music to your hearts content...it's good for us!

Lots of Hugs
Rena
>> become a permanent (and embarrassing, like "I don't want to work around other people" embarrassing) part of their lives?

i can relate and am i guy. aren't we supposed to these things a lot anyways?  but not this much trust me!

the discomfort and numersous times a day also took it's tool. couldn't sit in meetings for long due to the discomfort, then got to the point i didn't attend them anymore, just exhcanged email. so then i appeared anti-social.

white rice is good for me too. most fiber products only increases my gas. darn near anything i eat does it. as soon as food (most) touches my tongue the sensation to go or far# presents itself. so for quite a number of years i just quit going out and eating with people,  i eat alone at home.  it is way way worse if i don't have a bm and i have constipation issue too. hmmm, lovely, huh?

this in itself has caused a life style change along with the demylineating disease thing.

oh well, what a lovely day here and a lovely chat. LOL

"Pots On, Gas On High" by John Lee Hooker

Rena--it's true, I've had lots less trouble after I switched my breakfast cereal from Raisin Nut Bran to Rice Chex. Also, my nighttime carbohydrate (to make me sleep well) from oatmeal to Malt-o-Meal (which is like Cream of Wheat). Baby stuff.
Gosh, my 'friend' is relatively lucky. She rarely has this problem, with one big exception. She takes Pilates, if what she does remotely constitutes real Pilates moves, twice a week. Some of those positions just beg for a gas problem, and then my friend complies all too often. Yikes. It's a small group and no one to blame it on. :-{  Her ex used to blame his on the poor dog. But now he's her ex :-)

Has anyone tried Beano?

ess
beano no helpo meo
I agree, chalance is my usual reaction.

ess

My "friend" has a similar problem and is glad someone is finally talking about it. Now, the friend won't be so embarassed when it escapes in front of husband.