GRAY MATTER LESIONS
Hey Everyone!
Is there anyone who is here who has been dxed with gray matter lesions instead of while matter lesions in the brain?
Thanks  Sandie
MS is predominantly a white matter disease that includes lesions in the gray matter.  It is not one of the "Gray Matter Only" diseases like Alzheimer's Disease, schizophrenia, Parkinson's Disease (I think).

We know that along with our white matter lesions we do have gray matter damage.  One researcher I read stated that he expect to see approximately one gray matter lesion for every 10 white matter lesions.  I don't know how true that really is.

I do not think that gray matter lesions only would qualify for an MS diagnosis, but I am not sure.  Many of the "rules" we have learned about MS have proven not to be true.  For instance, T-Lynn had all the symptoms, but no brain lesions until they saw obvious atrophy.  Then they imaged her on better equipment and saw all the lesions they had been missing.

Whay are you asking?

Quix
Hi Quix
Thanks for responding.  I ask because I'm trying for a dx, and so far they've only found a gray matter lesion in the basal ganglia area, and do not seem to recognize it.  I have 90% of the symtoms, so now I think I;m gonna have to go for an LP.  I also have ON. My sister was dx with only 5% of the symptoms, she has ON 1 white matter lesion, 1 pos band from LP.  Hers seems to be a more clinical dx.  Can you give me any suggestions on what I should do?   Sandie
That is really interesting.

Do you have a pattern to the symptoms?  Do they come in relapses?

Do you have abnormalities on the neuro exam?

If the pattern of symptoms and neuro abnormalities suggest MS and the rule outs have been done, then an LP may well be in order.  I gather you have had an MRI of the cervical and thoracic spinal cord?

I was also diagnosed with just one white matter lesion and just one O-band, but I did have an elevated IgG Index.  The IgG Index is not considered as firm a piece of evidence, but it is still considered a positive LP result.

I have read reports of MS lesions in the basal ganglia.  And the ON is strong evidence.  given an abnormal MRI you have a greatly increased chance of eventually having a definite diagnosis of MS.

Quix
Hi Quix
Yes, there is a pattern.  I stated off noticing a weakness in my arm.  Then the ON, vertigo, at the beginning started with UTI's 2 within 2 months. I noticed when all of these things seem previlent, my bladder activity picks up.  Strong urgency, and frequency.
Then started these tremors, everything mostly on my left side, and internal tremors. Muscle spasms lately in my left calf.  I think back in april, I might have had an MS Hug.
Then came the cog problems, memory and also studdering, all this around the same time as the vertigo.  I have been also getting this wierd dramatic sigh/gasp, I've written about, happens everyday, sometimes all day.  Fatigue, heat intolerance.
The one neuro thinks it's the Lupus.
I told him that I have had Lupus for 6 years, and have never had any of these symptoms.
I made an app with a new rheumy, to make sure.  The last neuro said maybe it's time for an LP.  We'll see, but the Lupus has been in remission now for over a year.  Had my blood work done in MAy, still negative, so we'll see what happens.  Sandie