Multiple Sclerosis Community
Gabapentin cause more Vertigo?
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Gabapentin cause more Vertigo?

Hi everyone.. I have been uping the dose of Gabapentin to 1800mg a day now.. can this cause you to have more Vertigo.. it seems that I'm having alot more spells since I started to take more gabapentin.. it wasn't bothering me at lower levels... does anyone have this type of problem.

take care
wobbly
dx
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I had this exact problem.  Initially I was concerned that it was a new sx, but then I realized it was coming ~1 hour after I took the meds.  For me, I seemed to have a lot more vertigo at dosages over 400 mg.  Taking 300 mg 3x/day just wasn't working on the pain, so I started adding doses (with my neuro's approval) and I now take 300 mg 6x/day instead of 600 mg 3x/day.  It's a pain to remember, but I just had too much trouble with the dizziness.

HTH.

Stephanie
Blank
293157_tn?1285877039
thanks .. I think I will try that.. I don't notice it get worse after I take the meds...but then..it could be..so I will try 6x300mg.. instead of 3x600mg.. I let you know if it helps..

take care
wobbly
dx
Blank
751951_tn?1406636463
After reading your first post here and Steph's response, I decided I'd watch to see if I felt any different an hour or so after my first capsule of the day.  Nope; just a bit sleepy.  Balance was pretty much the same, and still is now, after about 5 or 6 hours.  I now take 400mg 3x/day, though I often forget the second dose and wind up taking two at bedtime.  I did find that it made me quite sleepy back when I was beginning the ramp-up to my previous dosage of 900mg/day.  I had to back off and allow more time between steps.  I've not really noticed any connection between the gabapentin and my constant (but fluctuating) balance problem.
Blank
293157_tn?1285877039
Yeh... its not easy to figure this out... what is a side effect or not.. because I do get times when my Vertigo acts up so badly I used to get a high dose of Prednisone to stop it...but this Neuro won't give it to me for some reason??

I also have been putting on so much weight... I'm afraid to weigh myself... but my stomach is soooo big.. my clothes look horrible..I look 9 months preggy... I'm 56...doesn't look good.

it's because I can't stop eating... it's horrible... I know that is the problem.  I didn't have that problem before?  Not this bad anyway..

I also get "Pink eye"  I never got that before either..one eye then a few days later it will be the other eye... not too bothersome..but it's something I never got before..?

and I'm nauseated and lightheaded alot with this med this high.. so I'm thinking of lowering it .. from 1800 mg... ??  whatever...and see if I feel better ..

take care
wobbly
dx
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity