Multiple Sclerosis Community
Gabapentin or Amitriptyline

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Gabapentin or Amitriptyline

Hiya

Just wondering who finds what drug more efficient and what were your side effects?

Amitriptyline helped with the muscle twitching and pain but not numbness - side effects mornings a nightmare as drowsy.

Gabapentin helping with numbness but side effects acne and muscle twitching a nightmare.

I take both Gabapentin and Elavil (Amitryptyline).  However, the Elavil dose is
quite small being only 25mg @bedtime. I take the Gabapentin (3) times a day.
the Elavil helps me to get a more sound sleep.
  So as far as your original question goes........they both are good for me!  I like the
fact that I can sleep fairly well through the night (elavil), and I like that I do not have as much of the neuropathic pain (neuralgia's).

No real side effects from either except when first taking the Elavil, mouth was dry and a bit tired and that is because of not having the right kind of sleep (REM) for such a long time,so it helps you to start and get some "real" sleep.

There are a lot of folks who do not like Elavil because they say it makes them so tired. However, from experience, it may in the begining but that shall pass. Elavil is one of those drugs that have been around for a long, long, time and for me, has proven to be a big help for sleep at night.

Hope this helps. Have a great week.
~Tonya