MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS
COMMUNITY
Gag reflex
by ELT, Feb 27, 2008
Hey, back already.  

Just reflexively (is that a word?) swallowed, saliva, and the old gag reflex kicked in.  Which reminded me that I wanted to ask...does anyone else have a strong gag reflex?  I don't mean all through life, I mean lately.

I had to stop putting water on my toothbrush last year, just toothpaste.  And I cannot brush my teeth for two minutes at a time, I'll be puking in the sink.  I am frequently choking on my own saliva, and very, very often, I have difficulty convincing my throat to work when I want to swallow food.  It seems to sit at the opening and not go down.  Like the pipes won't open.  LOL

My gag reflex is suddenly really strong, when it used to be quite fine.  I don't suffer from nausea or acid reflux, or anything.  I eat well, trust me, LOL.  And am rarely sick, as in flu once two yrs ago, and a cold which lasted only a few days this year.  

I also seem to have a really strong startle reflex.  The toaster makes me jump.  I startle myself frequently.  LOL

What's with all the hyper reactive stuff?

Erica
Member Comments (4)
by kitten o, Feb 27, 2008
I HAVE BEEN HAVING NUMBING IN MY TROAT, LATELY
I DON'T NO IF THAT HAS TO DO WITH REFLEXES.
AND YOU NO WHAT ALSO, I HAVE THE STARTLING  PROBLEM.
ISN'T THAT WEIRD. WHAT IS IT, I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP.
I JUMP WHEN THE PHONE RINGS. (AND THE RINGER IS ON LOW)
LOL.  
KITT
by ELT, Feb 27, 2008
I have no idea, but, whenever the bf suddenly is in my field of vision, I scream and then he apes me, stupid bugger, so, I'm screaming and jumping, and my arms curl up, and he's doing the same in front of me.  LOL  I'm laughing out loud while I type this.  

I was well known at work for jumping at the slightest thing.  Well, in the last year or so, anyways.  Now the cat scares me.  I even frequently startle myself.  THAT is embarassing in public.  LOL   I am learning new techniques for covering for my slips all of the time.  LOL

Im getting gooooooooooooood.

Erica
by kitten o, Feb 27, 2008
ME TO.
IT'S FUNNY STUFF SOMETIMES.
LIVE AND LEARN.
KITT
by juju02bean, Apr 08, 2010
I have this need to gag alot and its uncomfortable expecially after I eat and sometimes if my stomach is empty.  Have you found any medical answers for this problem?