Multiple Sclerosis Community
Good sleep

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Good sleep

How do you all get good sleep regularly.  I can only seem to get a good night sleep once a weerk or every two weeks.  In as much as the etreme pain is dealt with by medication, I still seem to always be uncomfortable.  I assume, based on my readings of this forum, that many of you must have to deal with sleep problems.  Any advice?

I am with you.  Sleep doesn't come easily and I don't stay asleep when I do drift off.  Sometimes it's the pain in my legs from the spasms and most of the time, it's pain in my lower back, which may be my lower disk problem or a bad mattress or both.

I don't want to spend my life taking sleep aids, so I just muddle through.  I envy anyone that is able to sleep 8 hours straight and would love to hear what other members have to say about some of the "tricks" they use to get a good night's sleep.

Heather
ask you doctor about Mirapex for the leg spasms
Do you have any personal experience with this drug?  My Neuro said something about it, at my last visit.  I am currently taking a muscle relaxant, but find I cannot get through a day without pain medication, due to chronic pain in my legs.

I would appreciate any info on Mirapex that you could give me.  Personal experience seems to be much better than what the drug company's advertise about the drug.  If I could find something to help with the spasms, I would love to go off of pain medication.

Thanks McB,
From Heather McC  (seriously, those are the first three letters of my last name)
I posted a couple of times , Mirapex is what my Mother takes for RLS. Someone else posted that they take it for RLS . Both having great success with it after many many yrs of drs. , meds and NO sleep.

Jo
I DO have RLS and presently take a mild tranquilizer at night, without much relief.  I was hoping that this drug would help with the leg spasms, but I see that it doesn't.  Shucks!
Heather,

Have you tried Mirapex for RLS , if not and your present rx. is not effective , talk to your dr. again .  He maybe onto something .The RLS could be aggravating the spasms..  ??  

Jo
Meurologist prescribed it saying it is better than requip.  For me it work wonderfully with no visible sideeffects.
for me Mirapex stops the twitching and pain that goes with it.  I must say Mirapex and Gabapenten for neurologic pain is a lifesaver combination
Because of the Mirapex and Gabapentin I can sleep at all.  I still get uncomfortable though.  It is pain really, except in my left arm anyway.  But, the uncomfortablnes and pain in left arm is toerable.  I just need more sleep than i am getting.
I WILL ask my Neuro about the Mirapex.  Now the RLS is affecting my arms, which I understand is not unheard of.  My Neuro also told me that RLS is seen among familys and gets worse as we age.  I think my sweetie is getting tired of my arms flying at him in the face at night.  Now RLS in your legs is one thing, but when it starts in your arms, it will drive you nuts...

The Requip I used to take made me feel awful, so I had to stop it.  Talk about sick. Whew!
McB'

I had problems sleeping  for yrs. b/c of everything and nothing.  Last yr. I finally resolved to get some answers .

One of the first things that I found was blacking out my bedroom. That means you can't see a thing when the lights are off. No outside light , like street light , moon light ,nothing .  Then inside , after I got it dark I couldn't believe how bright the night light was or the light from the clock. So those are GONE . It is absolutely black . The first night what a diff. I slept.  

Then no reading in bed for at least an hour before sleep. No lights on in the house for the hour before ( this works for me ) I was told it's really  a half before bed.. to start calming ones environment down .  NO caffeine after noon time ..very important for me..

They say a warm bath an hour or two before bed because it will lower your body temp. by bedtime , which is conducive to zzzz.  But watch it if you have MS , not too hot ..  Also lower the house temp. for sleep. Add a blanket.  

Alcohol will help put you to sleep BUT will wake you later  not worth it ...or don't over do. I never have more then two drinks and that is early. Usually just one, if at all.

I still have some problems , some to do w/sx. but it is so much better and I'm not taking all the sleeping aides.

I know your pain is getting in the way , I hope this will help some   ..  best wishes to everyone .

Jo    
McB

Another thought .. Have you tried propping pillows under your arms or legs. This use to give me relief. Nurses teach this to their patients . A pillow in the right place    :)   zzzz

Good luck    Jo
I have tried all these to usual no avail.