Multiple Sclerosis Community
HEADACHES AND MS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

HEADACHES AND MS

I was recently givena diagnosis of MS after having an MRI done to check why I have tinnitus and hearing loss in only one ear (I'm getting a second opinion),  and wanted to know if frequent headaches and blurred vision after eating is a sign of MS.  Could it just be my blood sugar instead? I do get headaches a lot, and a little dizzy after I eat and at certain times of the day but again, I  have always atttributed this to my blood sugar level and not drinking enough water.  Your input is greatly appreciated!
I am no Doctor. Speaking from experience it takes a little getting used to know what is MS and what is not. At first I thought everything was MS but a smart Doctor explained you can have every other kind of illness with MS. I usually go to my PCP first. Also it is important to take care of your general health eating right, getting enough sleep, exercising as you can. Having other health conditions are not fun on top of MS.

Alex
I'm no doctor, but from what I do know this doesn't sound like an MS symptom.  We do have headaches that are attributed to MS, but it doesn't coincide with blurred vision and eating.  Dehydration and fluctuations of blood sugar can certainly cause these problems.

Good for you to get a 2nd opinion - we should all do that if we have doubts or are uncomfortable with the diagnosis.

I hope we'll see you around - we have lots of information to share and very compassionate community members.

welcome again,
Lulu

Alex
It's possible that your headaches are migraines.  Have you been diagnosed with migraine headaches?  There's many medicines to help prevent and get rid of them.  I have noticed that with doozy migraines that after drinking caffeine at my meals, my vision would dim.  Do you have caffeine with your meals?  

I do notice, too, that I will also be dizzy with some migraine headaches.  Migraines are sometimes associated with raised blood pressure.  I think any kind of pain has the possibility of raising blood pressure.  I was in the doctor's office with a terrilble one and my blood pressure spiked really high!

I frequently have blurred vision, but have had optic neuritis.  My vision is blurry when I'm tired, hot, or distressed.  When's the last time you had your eyes examined by an opthalmologist?  It's probably a good idea to see one since MS is associated with ON.  

It's hard to know what is MS and what is not.  Reading, listening to others with MS on this forum, etc. is a good way of figuring out what is MS and what is not.  Until then, it's a good idea for a newly diagnosed person to ask your neuro at the next visit.  Maybe you can even find a good treatment for your headaches!

Debbie
I get so many headaches it drives me mental. I have classic migraines, atypical migraines, normal old tension headaches. I also have arthritis in my neck which I THINK (not sure yet) trigger yet more headaches and also give me dizziness.

The atypical migraines can give you blurred vision and dizziness as well, in fact can give stroke-like symptoms just to give you a major fright and make sure you're not getting bored with JUST have MS!

YAY! Life is so much fun!