Multiple Sclerosis Community
HEY QUIX

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

HEY QUIX

Ok,, then now that i have your attention.. lolol

tell me what you've heard about MRI with contrast?  Can it be a bad thing?  Tell me what you think?  Its my understanding that if you have lesions without contrast,, clinical meaning neuro exam.  etc that it is not nessary to have contrast lesions to have a DX.

am I right?

Thanx
Ray
Are you asking about the dangers of the contrast?  There aren't many, the main ones being an allergy to any of it's components, not common and the occurence of a severe reaction that includes renal scarring down and can be fatal.  The only people who have ever had this second severe rection were already in moderate to severe renal failure.  Most were already on dialysis.

You can't really do an incidence of this happening to you, because you are not at risk with pre-existing and significant renal damage, but it has happened "about" one per every million doses or so (I may be misremembering the numbers, but it was something like this.  But 1 in 1,000,000 is still not accurate for you and me because you have to have renal failure first.

Yes, you can get a diagnosis of MS with MRIs that have not used contrast.  Absolutely!!!!But, contrast offers the chance to see lesions (very new ones) that wouldn't have shown up without it.  Contrast can also offer info about how much new, active inflammation is going on.  It's a matter of gaining all the info you can while your are in the machine.

Quix
sitting here in limbo land and feeling alone,,, and so confused.

So i have lesions only 2 that are 3mm and greater.. I also have numbness/tingling in lower legs/ word recall, ugggg/ short term memory/ extreme loss of strength in legs and arm. and so on.....

Ms doc says need to WAIT for 3 months for yet another MRI if not before if I have a "flair"  also my doc wants a LP SCHEDULED,, which I havent done yet due to my daughters health problemes,, need to be there for her,,

so now,,, I feel like the LP is a waste of time. I dont know what to do

Ray
sorry I missed your post.. while I was posting..

Geeeeeeeeese Quix i'm so confused,, I just dont know what to do???  

Please read my post on the other thread!  You are posting the same question on two different threads and it is confusing,

An LP is not a waste of time!  I have never said it was.  It cannot be used as the "be all in the diagnosis of MS.  It must be used "with" the rest of the information available.  

My argument is with the neuros that say a neg O-band result rules out MS.  It does not!

Quix
I'm sorry Quix,,

didn't mean to post same question on 2 different threads,, I just noticed you were on and posted on this thread so I guess I posted it twice sorry.

Ok I'm just a little confused and down today,  

Thank you for responding

Ray