Hair Loss on Pregabalin (Lyrica)

Does anyone suffer from hairloss who takes Pregabalin (Lyrica)?
Thyroid check was normal.

Many thanks
Kimberley

I never experienced it myself. I was only on Lyrica for several months and I didn't have any relief from the pain so I dropped it but I did find a web page that stated that it was a side effect problem.

This is what it states:

"Hair loss (known medically as alopecia) is a rare side effect of Lyrica® (pregabalin). In previous clinical studies, between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1,000 people taking Lyrica experienced hair loss. The exact percentage of people who developed hair loss while taking Lyrica was not reported. Because hair loss is so common in the general public, it is difficult to say whether hair loss is caused by Lyrica, genetics, other factors, or a combination of these things.

If you are taking Lyrica and hair loss becomes a problem, talk with your healthcare provider. Depending on how severe the hair loss is, there are things that he or she may be able to do. If your hair loss continues to be bothersome or if your healthcare provider believes that Lyrica is causing your hair loss, he or she may recommend trying a different epilepsy, diabetic neuropathy, fibromyalgia, or postherpetic neuralgia treatment."

I imagine if your thyroid levels were normal, & you haven't changed any of your other meds, or nothing different has occured recently..then it could very well be caused by the Lyrica. If the hair loss is bothersome, I would switch to a different type of med..ex Neurotin.
Your post caught my eye, but I am on Gabapentin and not on Lyrica.  I have just noticed that I appear to have lost hair recently and have developed a bit of a receding hair line.  I just thought this was probably my age (47) but am now wondering if there is any link to medication. Will have to ask neuro at next visit.

Sarah
Thank you for your comments

Slightly broken: I will take a copy of the side effects to the neurologist and see what he says!
Sarah: I tried Gabapentin but it made me feel very sluggish which is why it was changed to Pregabalin (Lyrica) I am seeing my neurologist in Feb '11 so will ask him what he thinks and will post feedback, this cant go on its making me feel down and very self conscious.

Kimberley

I have been on Lyrica for a few months now. I haven't experienced any hair loss. Although my skin and scalp are very dry and itchy but that could be just down to the weather conditions the UK is experiencing. (went very cold very quickly).
Sara,  I'm also noticing a receading hairline after taking gabapentin . Did your hair come back after stopping the meds