Multiple Sclerosis Community
Hair Loss

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hair Loss

Is there anything besides autoimmune alopecia, lupus, hypothyroidism that could cause hair loss?   I've noticed quite a bit of my hair coming out in the shower and hair all over the place today.  Can being anemic cause this?  I do have hypothyroidism (I've had it for years and have been on the same amount of levothyroxine for years).  Last TSH was over a year ago, though.  

I feel like poop, too.  I've had an upset tummy, very weak, and feeling odd (spacey, ears ringing super loud).  I have an appointment set up tomorrow to see my regular doctor.  I also have my head tremor coming back and need to be pulled out of chairs, need the shower chair for the first time in over a year.  

I didn't sleep well last night because my stomach felt unsettled (no temperature, though--in fact below temperature).  

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Deb
Hair loss for me was thyroid related. Besides having MS I have autoimmune thyroid issues too. I am on straight T3 as Levothyroxine was worthless and made me feel much worse. Since starting the T3 (cytomel) I am beginning to feel much better, have more energy and my hair has quit falling out.

I found a Doctor who doesn't treat TSH lab results but the whole patient. I found I have a bad Reverse T3 problem and now that its clearing with the T3, life is getting much better and the thyroid antibodies are about gone too. :) My stomach issues are much better as well.

Low temperature is an indicator of hypothyroid btw.
Jessica
My hair fell out when I was very anemic.  (I was anemic due to undx celiac disease, so I was also low on other key nutrients: B12, D, and cholesterol.)
I just got back from the doctor.  He's getting me to have a lot of blood work which I'll do on Friday.  The doctor is leaning toward the hypothyroid explaination with MS causing the weakness, but I noticed a lot of different tests besides the thyroid panel.  He did say that he wanted to make sure I was anemic.  

Steph, what led your doctor to think it was celiac disease besides anemia?  Were there other blood tests to help with the diagnosis?  I wouldn't be shocked if I have an additional autoimmune disease!  

Jessica, I have had bad luck with getting any of my doctors to look into other medicines.  I even went to an endocrinologist, but he wasn't wanting to change my medicine either.  I have hear what you have, as far as the straight T3.  I know nothing about Cytomel.  Does this help with lowering thyroid antibodies?  

My body temperature is much like that of a lizard.  If it's hot outside, my body temperature rises, and I have a hard time cooling.  When it's cool (and the weather is cooling again), I get cold and stay cold.  I told this to the neuro after my trip to Italy because I wound up in the urgent care facility because I got to hot and thought I was having a heat stroke.  I tried cooling myself, but couldn't do it.  I finally collapsed and was taken to the center on a tiny little island where no one could speak English.  Anyway, my neuro told me that all this had something to do with the MS (I forgot the explaination).  So, I am really confused needless to say as far as what is MS and what is not!

Thank you so much for your help, ladies.  Happy Thanksgiving,
Deb
I am wondering about hair loss myself. I have MS and am anemic. My vitamin levels are good.