Multiple Sclerosis Community
Hamstrings are tight

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hamstrings are tight

Suggestions welcomed.

My hamstrings are so tight they hurt if i try to stretch them by bending over and trying to touch the floor with my fingers.  I'm doing this because they have been tight the last three weeks which seemed to happen over night.  I usually work out but no matter how many times I try to stretch I think they are getting worse.  I know I'm getting worse because I can't move like I used to or lift weights like I used to, etc. My left buttocks has been knotting up all day now.
Less than two weeks ago I went to urgent care because just like that I was walking like a "stomping Frankenstein" as my husband put it and I was in a lot of pain.  I was having spasms and twitching all over my body. They gave me muscle relaxers.  Close to a week i was somewhat better.  (I didn't have my diagnosis then but i do now).  So I believe I'm heading in the same direction again.  I'm stiff  and bouncing when i walk according to my husband.  Do i need to call my neuro now or will it be just take the muscle relaxers again or will they recommend something else.
Anyone with this experience and what was done?

Anamaria

You seem to be describing spasticity.  I'm not an expert in treatment, but there are a couple things I know.  

Yes, your neuro needs to know.  

Yes, you'll probably getting muscle relaxants again.  

You need a referral to a Phyiscal Therapist who specializes in neuro problems.

I would like some of the others who have severe spasticity to chime in here, like T-Lynn, but I believe the stretching for spasticity is done differently than for sports and cramps.  It is done for longer periods and for long enough to cause lingering discomfort in the muscles.  Don't take my word for it.  Others will speak up, and you should be under the care of a PT as soon as possible.

Anyone lese?

Quix
Hi there sorry to hear of your problems, The trouble with spasticity is it comes and goes, one min you are toe walking and the next you are on your heels, its very painful, i know. I asked for muscle relaxents and was told no, because they affect all of your muscles not just the ones you want them to work on. and see above for quix's words on physio, it causes me great discomfort enough not to want to go back lol. you can get sports foot supports that may help or standard orthotics, hope that was of some help :)