Multiple Sclerosis Community
Has anyone got a flu shot yet?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Has anyone got a flu shot yet?

I went in to get my flu shot yesterday and woke up sick this morning.  I'm not necessarily blaming the flu shot as it could just be a coinicidence.   My DH was telling me that they are putting 3 shots in one in this year's vaccination and thought I had a reaction tio it.  

Has anyone else got their flu shot yet?  

Juile
Since I used to volunteer myself into a high risk category by working with terminally ill prison inmates, I began getting the flu shot every year back in the mid 1990s.  Other than some tenderness at the injection site, I've never had a problem.  I also think I've had fewer winter respiratory illnesses.  Can't say that's not coincidence, but I'm going to keep getting the shot.  (The free ones are better, though!)
One more thing...I think this is just one of those reactions that can happen with any vaccination, but this is my first time having it happen.  I may just be unlucky this year. :)
I've been waiting for management to announce the free shots at work.  I'm seen some local pharmacies offering flu vaccines but it doesn't seem the big push has started yet.  Once the chill hits the air to stay people will probably clammer for them all at once.

What kind of sick are you feeling Julie?  Feverish?  Respiratory?  Gastro?  If you don't mind saying, of course.

Mary
I haven't had my flu shot yet this year, but I work at a hospital so I do get one every year once it is available. The vaccine isn't alive or is very weakened and shouldn't actually make one sick.

If there is ever a choice between a live vaccine and a dead one (which I have only seen them offer a live vaccine when they where giving out the h1n1) I would always choose the dead/weakened one because the live one could make you sick.

Unless of course you are allergic to eggs.

I hope you feel better soon.
There were minimal reactions to adults in the Southern Hemisphere fluvax for this winter (which is just finishing). there was, however , a bad batch that affected lots of kids. It was recalled.

If your Northern Hemisphere shot is similar to ours (which is usually is), it should have H1N1 (pig flu) , another Influenza A strain, and one Influenza B strain. Ours always have 2 As and one B.

Our flu season ended up being very very mild, which was a relief after last years H1N1 horror which almost saw the collapse of intensive care units around the country. The Kiwis copped a bad season though, mostly H1N1 again.

Hope you feel ok soon.

I had my shot on Friday, with no reaction.  I hope you feel better in time for work on Monday. - L
I work in the medical field and I am waiting till one of the offices in our building has extra and gives them to us free. I have gotten the flu shot for many years as well as the H1N1 shot last year will no problems. However 6 years ago the flu shot made my arm hurt like a tetanus shot for about 3 days other than that no problems
I had my flu shot 2 weeks ago with no ill effects.  I have to tell you I worked in the medical field for 13 years before MS caused my early retirement and I will explain what I explained for years... you cannot get the flu from the flu vaccine... it is not a live virus!  Live virus vaccines are frozen in order to keep the virus active, like the shingles vaccine.  It was taught to me the only way you can get sick from the vaccine is if you are allergic to one of the components of the vaccine.  I hope you feel better :)
Debbie
~live as if all your dreams came true~
I think I'm a bad MS-er...or I like living dangerously...but, we have never gotten flu shots (DH got it twice and was sick for 3 days each time, I've never had it, and none of the kids either) We are all healthy with no conditions that would be at risk for complications. If one of the kids had a health issue, we would all get the shot, but luckily they are all "disgustingly healthy" as our doctor calls them LOL

Intellectually, I understand I am now considered "at risk" because of MS. Maybe I'm just stubborn...maybe it is just too many changes at once...maybe I just don't want to admit what a chronic illness really means, but I'm not ready to change my thinking on flu shots yet.

~Jess
(I want to clarify, I do think flu shots are a *good* thing, but I also think that, as with any medical decision, they are a personal choice)
Julie,

I'm sorry you had a reaction to your flu shot.  I think it's time for you to flip the calendar on this years and go to next year's. Hopefully, it will be short-lived and you'll be back to your normal self soon!

Feel better,
Ren
Well a day or two of fluish symptoms is always a possiblility with the flu shots.  They stimulate the immune system and that may release some interferons that cause the problem.  They also can stimulate a relapse - usually a mild one.  Medicate with an NSAID like Aleve or Motrin (Naproxen or ibuprofen), hydrate, and rest.  Sorry it happened.

I know you know this, Julie, but for any others who don't.  You CANNOT catch the flu from a flu shot.  Impossible.  No live virus in the shot to do it.  If one does contract the flu within a few days of the shot, they were already exposed and incubating the flu virus.  the shot was too late to give protection.

Quix
Thanks for the comments.  Yes Quix, I do know that flu shots don't cause the flu.  I usualy have to remind my friends who are tentative about having a flu shot about this fact.  

I do feel a little better today.  I think this was a little reaction and I only had a temp at the most of 99.8 and chills body aches and headache.  But most of that has passed now.  

Having a flu shot is an individual decision that I have personally made for several years.  I know there is controversy in the MS community, but my neuro feels it is helpful and doesn't take getting the flu lightly.  

I'll be better by tomorrow for sure.  Thanks again for the insightful responses.

Julie
I just talked to my MS nurse today and she said that I should get the "dead" virus, not the live one.  So I'll be getting that one.
Getting mine tomorrow with my Tetanus shot.  The flu is a dead vaccine, so the worst you should get is an immune response reaction which is kind of like the flu symptoms you'd get from Avonex or Rebif.  Be happy, it shows you immune systems recognized the dead virus and is beginning to make antibodies to fight it.

Bob
In the US, the shot is "dead", but the nasal version is "attenuated." but still kicking.

Bob
Got mine 3 weeks ago, been tired since.
Got mine several weeks ago.  My arm didn't even get sore.

I did have a very minor increase in itchiness at my Copaxone injection sites.  I'm thinking that was because my immune system had been kicked into action to produce flu protection.  It went away again.

All this tells me the Copaxone is doing it's job of defending me against MS by moderating my immunse response and the vaccine is doing it's job defending me against the flu by temporarily amping up my immune system to amke antibodies.

It's a good decision for me.
Mary
Had mine at work last week, no problems at all.