Multiple Sclerosis Community
Has anyone heard of Coconut Oil being used for MS?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

One of my doctor's (Pain Management, not Neurologist), told be about taking Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, a tablespoon per day, to aide in MS Symptoms, has anyone else heard or read anything about this?

-- Socrates2k1  (aka Stan)
Hi Stan, no I've never heard that coconut oil may help to relieve MS symptoms.  The main health benefit I'm familiar with is that is helps to raise HDL aka good cholesterol.

I would ask the doc by what mechanism it's thought to help in MS.
Here is a quoted article with all the benefits of coconut oil (Dr Mercola)

The Truth about Coconut Oil

The truth about coconut oil is obvious to anyone who has studied the health of those who live in traditional tropical cultures, where coconut has been a nutritious diet staple for thousands of years.

Back in the 1930's, a dentist named Dr. Weston Price traveled throughout the South Pacific, examining traditional diets and their effect on dental and overall health. He found that those eating diets high in coconut products were healthy and trim, despite the high fat concentration in their diet, and that heart disease was virtually non-existent.

Similarly, in 1981, researchers studied populations of two Polynesian atolls. Coconut was the chief source of caloric energy in both groups. The results, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,2 demonstrated that both populations exhibited positive vascular health.

In fact, no evidence exists that the naturally occurring high saturated fat intake had any kind of harmful effect in these populations!

That's not what you expected, is it? Based on 60 years of negative public policy towards naturally occurring saturated fats, you would expect these cultures to be rife with clogged arteries, obesity and heart disease.

It may be surprising for you to realize that the naturally occurring saturated fat in coconut oil actually has some amazing health benefits, such as:

Promoting your heart health3
        Promoting weight loss, when needed4
        Supporting your immune system health5
        Supporting a healthy metabolism6
        Providing you with an immediate energy source7
        Keeping your skin healthy and youthful looking
        Supporting the proper functioning of your thyroid gland8

But how is this possible?

Does coconut oil have some secret ingredients not found in other saturated fats?

The answer is a resounding "yes".

Coconut Oil's Secret Ingredient

50 percent of the fat content in coconut oil is a fat rarely found in nature called lauric acid. If you're a frequent reader of my newsletter you already know that I consider lauric acid a "miracle" ingredient because of its unique health promoting properties.

Your body converts lauric acid into monolaurin, which has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-protozoa properties.9

Monolaurin is a monoglyceride which can actually destroy lipid coated viruses such as:

HIV, herpes
        Measles
        Influenza virus
        Various pathogenic bacteria
        Protozoa such as giardia lamblia.

Lauric acid is a powerful virus and gram-negative bacteria destroyer, and coconut oil contains the most lauric acid of any substance on earth!

Capric acid, another coconut fatty acid present in smaller amounts, has also been added to the list of coconut's antimicrobial components.

This is one of the key reasons you should consider consuming coconut oil, because there aren't many sources of monolaurin in our diet. But the health benefits of coconut oil don't stop there.

The Benefits of Medium-Chain Fatty Acids

Coconut oil is about 2/3 medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), also called medium-chain triglycerides or MCTs. These types of fatty acids produce a whole host of health benefits.

Coconut oil is nature's richest source of these healthy MCFAs.

By contrast, most common vegetable or seed oils are comprised of long chain fatty acids (LCFAs), also known as long-chain triglycerides or LCTs.

Let me tell you why these long-chain fatty acids are not as healthy for you as the MCFAs found in coconut oil10:

LCFAs are difficult for your body to break down -- they require special enzymes for digestion.
        LCFAs put more strain on your pancreas, liver and your entire digestive system.
        LCFAs are predominantly stored in your body as fat.
        LCFAs can be deposited within your arteries in lipid forms such as cholesterol.
        In contrast to LFCAs, the MCFAs found in coconut oil have many health benefits, including the following beneficial qualities:
        MCFAs are smaller. They permeate cell membranes easily, and do not require special enzymes to be utilized effectively by your body.
        MCFAs are easily digested, thus putting less strain on your digestive system.
        MCFAs are sent directly to your liver, where they are immediately converted into energy rather than being stored as fat.
        MCFAs actually help stimulate your body's metabolism, leading to weight loss.

Coconut Oil Helps Fight Diabetes

Your body sends medium-chain fatty acids directly to your liver to use as energy. This makes coconut oil a powerful source of instant energy to your body, a function usually served in the diet by simple carbohydrates.

But although coconut oil and simple carbohydrates share the ability to deliver quick energy to your body, they differ in one crucial respect.

Coconut oil does not produce an insulin spike in your bloodstream. You read that correctly, Coconut oil acts on your body like a carbohydrate, without any of the debilitating insulin-related effects associated with long-term high carbohydrate consumption!

Diabetics and those with pre-diabetes conditions (an exploding health epidemic in America), should immediately realize the benefit of a fast acting energy source that doesn't produce an insulin spike in your body. In fact, coconut oil added to the diets of diabetics and pre-diabetics has actually been shown to help stabilize weight gain, which can dramatically decrease your likelihood of getting adult onset type-2 Diabetes.11

Cococut Oil, the Friend to Athletes and Dieters

If you live in the United States, you have an almost 70 percent chance of being overweight.

And, by now, I'm sure you're well aware that obesity affects your quality of life and is linked to many health concerns.

One of the best benefits of coconut oil lies in its ability to help stimulate your metabolism.

Back in the 1940s, farmers found out about this effect by accident when they tried using inexpensive coconut oil to fatten their livestock.

It didn't work!

Instead, coconut oil made the animals lean, active and hungry.

However, many animal and human research studies have demonstrated that replacing LCFAs with MCFAs results in both decreased body weight and reduced fat deposition.

In fact, the ability of MCFAs to be easily digested, to help stimulate the metabolism and be turned into energy has entered the sports arena. Several studies have now shown that MCFAs can enhance physical or athletic performance.12

Additionally, research has demonstrated that, due to its metabolic effect, coconut oil increases the activity of the thyroid. And you've probably heard that a sluggish thyroid is one reason why some people are unable to lose weight, no matter what they do.

Besides weight loss, there are other advantages to boosting your metabolic rate. Your healing process accelerates. Cell regeneration increases to replace old cells, and your immune system functions better overall.
Continued in next post....
continued from above:

Coconut Oil on Your Skin

Besides the mounting medical and scientific evidence that coconut oil has powerful positive health benefits when eaten, it has also been used for decades by professional massage therapists to knead away tight stressed muscles.

However, you don't have to be a professional massage therapist to gain the skin and tissue support benefits of coconut oil. Just use coconut oil as you would any lotion.

Coconut oil is actually ideal for skin care. It helps protect your skin from the aging effects of free radicals, and can help improve the appearance of skin with its anti-aging benefits.

In fact, physiologist and biochemist Ray Peat, Ph.D. considers coconut oil an antioxidant13, due to its stability and resistance to oxidation and free radical formation. Plus, he believes it reduces our need for the antioxidant protection of vitamin E.

Like Dr. Peat, many experts believe coconut oil may help restore more youthful-looking skin. When coconut oil is absorbed into your skin and connective tissues, it helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by helping to keep your connective tissues strong and supple, and aids in exfoliating the outer layer of dead skin cells, making your skin smoother.

Coconut Oil and Your Heart

Heart disease is the number one cause of death in the U.S. And heart disease is often a silent killer. The first sign of cardiovascular disease is commonly a heart attack, and sadly, over one third of heart attacks are fatal.

And despite the propaganda, the truth is this: it is UNSATURATED fats that are primarily involved in heart disease, not the naturally occurring saturated fats, as you have been led to believe.14

Plus, the polyunsaturated fats in vegetable and seed oils encourage the formation of blood clots by increasing platelet stickiness. Coconut oil helps to promote normal platelet function.

Coconut Oil in Your Kitchen

I only use two oils in my food preparation.

The first, extra-virgin olive oil, is a better monounsaturated fat that works great as a salad dressing.

However, it should not be used for cooking. Due to its chemical structure, heat makes it susceptible to oxidative damage.

And polyunsaturated fats, which include common vegetable oils such as corn, soy, safflower, sunflower and canola, are absolutely the worst oils to use in cooking. These omega-6 oils are highly susceptible to heat damage because of their double bonds.

I strongly urge you to throw out those omega-6 vegetable oils in your cabinets.

Why?

Reason # 1: Most people believe that frying creates trans-fat. That is not the major problem, in my opinion. Although some are created, they are relatively minor. There are FAR more toxic chemicals produced by frying omega-6 oils than trans-fat.

Frying destroys the antioxidants in oil and as a result oxidizes the oil. This causes cross-linking, cyclization, double-bond shifts, fragmentation and polymerization of oils that cause far more damage than trans-fat.

Reason # 2: Most of the vegetable oils are GMO. This would include over 90 percent of the soy, corn and canola oils.

Reason # 3: Vegetable oils contribute to the overabundance of damaged omega-6 fats in your diet, which creates an imbalance in the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3. As you know from my extensive writing on this subject, I believe that excessive consumption of damaged omega-6 fats contributes to many health concerns.

They are all highly processed and consumed in amounts that are about 100 times more than our ancestors did a century ago. This causes them to distort the sensitive omega-6/omega-3 ratio which controls many delicate biochemical pathways which results in accelerating many chronic degenerative diseases.

There is only one oil that is stable enough to resist mild heat-induced damage, while it also helps you promote heart health and even supports weight loss and thyroid function -- coconut oil.

So, whenever you need an oil to cook with, use coconut oil instead of butter, olive oil, vegetable oil, margarine, or any other type of oil called for in recipes. Even though I don't fully recommend frying foods, if you must fry, by all means use coconut oil -- it's your smartest choice.
~Dr Mercola~

And that being said. I use it for stir fry, skin moisturizer, eat it plain for instant energy, suntan lotion, and as a hand cream.

Its really important to use Virgin, organic, cold pressed coconut oil as you don't know how that stuff in the grocery store was processed or where it came from.

Cheers,
Jessica J
wow, that is some fasinating stuff... funny, my chiropractor, a month or so ago, mentioned Coconut oil to us as a health benefit, and with people with MS.

Now, that I have read up so much on it too, and your help on here, I think I amd hubby are going  try it.  

I know my chiro told us it is available at Costco, here in Canada, I will make sure it is Virgin cold pressed Oil, and if it is good, I will keep you posted.

Here's hoping,
Thanks for all the info,
Candy
I have been using it like crazy on skin conditions with my babies like diaper rash ad eczema.  It also works wonderfully on cracked skin like heels and cuticles.  I'm newly in love with it.
But to the point of this forum, I second doublevision's question; in what ways and by what mechanism has it been shown to help with the symptomatic treatment of Multiple Sclerosis?
Funny this one should come up, Stan.  I just did a blog piece on Medical Foods - when it gets published I'll try to remember to send you the link.  In the meantime, let me just give you this quick over view and a website to check out-

axona.com

The high points of what I have read-

The brain is made up of a lot of fat
The coconut oil is fatty

It's thought that somehow you can help to correct cognitive problems with the inclusion of coconut  oil in the diet, but axona is some form of refined oil.

This medical food has been FDA approved  for use in early and mid-alzheimers and has shown positive results

This forumla is available by prescription but it doesn't appear that all doctors are inolved with being able to write these rx's- but I'm not sure about that.

I have a FB friend who lives in Florida and has just begun a study where they are testing this same Medical Food on MS patients to see if it affects our Cog Fog.  

Nestle Health Science is now partnered with this small biotech company to further test Axona on other diseases.

I know nothing about the Axona costs or if insurance covers this.  If you google about this you will find quite a bit of information, but much of it is anecdotal (stories and not studies!).

As always, none of this is intended as medical advice- please use caution and common sense in adding anything to your diet.

be well, Laura
I used the Search this Community box on the main page (some of you may not have noticed it), and entered 'coconut oil,' remembering I'd seen some discussion on this before.

Turns out there have been 10 threads that include this term. Several mentioned it only in passing, and others had posters listing their uses for it. Quite a few people have found it helpful for skin problems or overall skin care. Some cook with coconut oil, saying it has general healthful properties (which it may well, I don't know).

No one, though, urged its use for MS, and there were no scientific facts at all on this subject.

If I had a doctor recommend any food or other non-medical remedy for MS treatment, I'd ask why that works and where I could read about it In fact, I'd ask anyone who gave me that advice those same questions.

ess.
I've never heard of it for MS, but I used to us it in my hair so that it wouldn't be so frizzy and fly-away. It made it really soft.

I have heard and read about coconut for just general over all health regardless of MS diagnosis.
The PROOF : Here Dr. Terry Wahls, the assistant chief of staff at the Iowa Veterans Affairs Medical Center.who has MS since 2000 : "Changed Her Diet... and Reversed Her 'Irreversible' Decline" with diet and coconut oil http://www.huffingtonpost.com/meryl-davids-landau/multiple-sclerosis-diet_b_2258056.html and here on youtube : Dr. Terry Wahls at TEDxIowaCity http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KLjgBLwH3Wc she used diet to cure her MS and get out of her wheelchair
"used diet to cure her MS and get out of her wheelchair"

No she didn't. There is no cure for MS. If coconut oil and diet cured MS there wouldn't be anyone with MS.

Kyle
Really, Kyle? Take some Logical analysis classes. The only way your statement could be true is if everyone who has had MS altered their diet & used Raw Organic Coconut Oil at adequate levels for effect. Do you know if everyone who has MS has tried altering their diet in infinitesimally different ways & used an adequate therapeutic level of Raw Organic Coconut Oil? Try this statement instead: There are no known cures for MS that are known to the general allopathic medical community that are widely acknowledged as proven to work for all cases of MS.

Scurvy is caused by a long term lack of Vitamin C in the diet. It was considered incurable before this discovery. Just one of many diseases caused by a deficiency of a key nutrient the body needs to work effectively.
While Dr. Wahls did manage to get out of her wheelchair, she does still have MS and admits to that in addition to continuing her medications along with the diet that she has devised.

I hope there will be something with cocunut oil to help us with the big nasty, but I think that we are a long way from knowing if there are benefits. Sadly, these things take time.
I just hope for all of us that someone comes up with something that will benefit us all.

Corrie
If there was peer reviewed research that demonstrated that the addition of raw organic coconut oil, and other dietary changes,  cured MS a fairly healthy portion of those of us with MS would make the changes. But there isn't any peer reviewed research on the topic.

Many of us have made significant changes to our diets to help our bodies in order to better ward off MS. I for one do not see these changes as something that will cure my MS. Has your proposed diet cured your MS?

Kyle
I believe a more accurate statement is:  "There are no known cures for MS that are known to the general allopathic medical community that are widely acknowledged as proven to work for ANY cases of MS."

On another note, please ease off on the sarcasm. It's not helpful. You can express your beliefs and POV without being rude.
Kyle sorry man, but you have a very dismal outlook!

The truth is all of the MS  neurologists and specialists that I have seen basically know very little about what causes this disease! Every single person is different in many ways and most of the drugs do not work......often have long term side effects that make the symptoms worse!

Have an open mind. I constantly keep trying new things.....I tried the Vegetable juicing  and many other supplements.....all of which help. However I have to say that I have never felt so fantastic as I do on the coconut oil!
It is early days ...but so far I am loving it!!!

Keep an open mind......

Tina
Hi Tina,

Whether or not my outlook is dismal is subjective :-)

I agree that MS neurologists and specialists do not know what causes MS. I would add that no one does. That is the Holy Grail. If they can determine what causes it, it's that much easier to fix.

I would disagree with your statement that most of the drugs do not work and have long term side effects. I have been on a variety of meds, both those designed to halt the progress of my disease and those aimed at relieving individual symptoms. For the 2 years since I was diagnosed I have remained a fully functioning member of society. If you were to see me you would never guess I had MS. This tells me that the drugs are working. And as to side effects, I have never experienced a single one. Granted that 2 years still counts as the short run :-)

In addition to the 'traditional' treatment I'm receiving I work with a naturopathic doctor. We work towards making my body as strong as it can be. We revamped my diet, which helped me lose 40 pounds. I take a variety of supplements some aimed at relieving specific symptoms and others aimed at overall health.

There have been may claims of diet or procedure curing/minimizing MS. Recently CCSVI, once thought to be a magic bullet, has come under increasing skepticism. No one has been able to recreate Dr. Zamboni's results.

Whether or not to follow an alternative path to treat MS is a personal decision. The coconut oil seems to be working for you and I am glad of it ;-)

Kyle
I personally pay no attention to those who totally badmouth conventional medicine with claims and statements that have no basis in scientific reality. They'll think what they want to think and say what they want to say. Let 'em. Life's too short.

All that sort of thing reminds me of one of the old Disney film songs, I forget which film, but the song is "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes." That's the land some people live in. I prefer the real one.

ess

Nope, but I have heard of it being used for just about everything else and judge by the length of this thread and the comments in it so has everyone else.
Let me just say, making a stir fry with good quality coconut oil is heavenly… try it.
Being delicious and treating/curing disease are two entirely different functions. ;)

ps: Kyle has a dismal outlook? Ummmm, no. Not even a little bit.
Tina, do you have MS?  I have been using coconut oil for several months and just started taking it this week.  My niece has MS, diagnosed 4 years ago.  I was wondering if it would help her.  She just had another fairly significant episode that was tingling in her feet that wouldn't go away.  She is on a 6 month regimen of steroid infusions.  The first time they did that she gained 50 pounds and has not been able to get it off.  Thought maybe the coconut oil might help speed up her metabolism and help with the weight and general overall health.  Is it working for you?  Any negative side effects?
I have read once that there is few people with ALS, yes ALS not MS, that have been living and keeping somehow good health state using 9 spoons of coconut oil + something with magnesium... no idea it was some solution in water, it had to be taken on daily basis, and eveen somee symptoms were reduced, and we know ALS is very lethal, life-span is so short.