Multiple Sclerosis Community
Has anyone in the forum used alternative medical treatments to manage t...

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Has anyone in the forum used alternative medical treatments to manage their MS symptoms?

Hello everyone!  I haven't posted on the forum in a while and hope everyone is fairing well with regards to their health.  Has anyone in the forum used alternative medical treatments to manage their MS symptoms or other health issues?  Alternative medical treatments could include but not limited to..... message therapy, reiki healing, acupuncture/acupressure, homeopatic and chiropractic treatments etc.  Just curious if anyone has tried alternative treatments before.  

I have a variety of health issues specifically, chronic fatigue syndrome caused by contracting EBV virus, a major neck injury that will require a couple of neurosurgeries to correct the structural damage in my spine, a tumor in my lumbar spine, and last but not least I've had MS symptoms the last few years.  I've tried a variety of alternative treatments to try and improve my energy level, decrease fatigue and chronic pain and have had some good success with reiki healing as compared to other alternative treatments.  
I know the research doesn't hold up, but I am still a big fan of acupuncture.  I find the process very relaxing for the tense muscles.  I also you massage therapy as complimentary form of treatment for my symptoms/

I still take my DMD, Copaxone, on top of these other treatments.  I'm glad you find some relief in Reiki.  

be well,
Lulu
I go to the chiropractor 2x a month for an adjustment. My mother is a massage therapist and she does energy work and will be starting reiki  on me in the next few weeks. How has this worked for you? Do you notice a difference? I also take alot of supplements to help with fatigue along with my copaxone.
My acupuncturist did not work on symptoms. She tried to boost my immune system with acupuncture and herbs. I got dreadfully sick after each visit. Since MS is an over reaction of the immune system this was the wrong approach. She did not want me to go on Copaxone so I dropped her.

But for just treating symptoms I have heard others say good things.

I can not afford acupuncture or massage now or I would try them.

I trade someone cat sitting for reiki. I don't know what it is but it helps.

I had bad EBV in 2008 and was on all kinds of vitamins and immune support herbs. My MS Specialist told me to drop all of them except Vitamin D.

Exercise and a good diet are my most important therapies. Movement Magazine talked about how these are over looked.

Good luck,

Alex
I am a big believer in alternative therapies. I use acupuncture once a month, chiropractic once a week (included muscle stim, ART, stretch therapy), massage once a week, LDN  and supplements. I really like tyrosine in the morning for mood and energy, b vitamins, lots of C, Co Q 10, Omega 3's, digestive enzymes, probiotics and magnesium. Years ago when I had a flare (before diagnosis with MS) I took MGN-3 (mushroom extract) and got totally well. I will be starting with a product called RM-10 which is similar soon. It cannot hurt. I also eat organic and avoid grains, dairy, soy, legumes and soda. Exercise and meditation help with stress.
I can only speak for myself, My body goes into bad spasms when touched, I hate it when anyone loving gives me a hug or pats me on the back for this reason... When I ask people not to  touch me they become offend big time... so I grin and bare it... not a good feeling...so messages are out for me, although it does sound nice...
I had acupuncture in the beginning and ended up in the hospital in total body spasms and spasticy attack...Not Fun !!
I have never discourage anyone from trying anything they feel will help them, MS is different for everyone... Just because these things weren't for me doesn't mean they won't be good for you or anyone else...

Good Luck and I hope you find something that brings you some relief... You are in my thoughts and Prayers {{{{{~!~}}}}
Wow, been a long time since we've seen you!

I downloaded this informative review last year, and I'm sure there are many more now, but this I thought was good because it was an objective review and discusses many of the supplements.  

http://www.mscare.org/cmsc/images/pdf/AltMedMS.pdf  

I tried yoga but the only time I could go was immediately after work and found it difficult to clear my mind knowing what I had to do the rest of the evening at home :(

Nice to see you back!
-shell
I was very involved with Reiki and other forms of hands on healing for many years.  Eventually, I taught Reiki along with other healing techniques and found that many people with all kinds of illnesses were helped.  When my symptoms became worse for MS I had to give up teaching as I couldn't focus or do the physical work that was required.  I do continue to see healers of any faith and belief system on a regular basis and find that it really helps to support all the medical treatments that I am receiving.
No system is perfect.  I believe that each one of needs to find what is good for us and that  it is important to feel comfortable with whatever we do.  Like a finding a good doc, we have to check out people in the alternative field as well.  Some are well schooled and some are not-just like the medical profession.
Personally, I think it is important to be open to any form of healing that will help but to steer clear of anyone who is promising that what they do will be the perfect cure-the only cure.  Charley
Massage helps me tremendously!!   I end up with slightly more energy, but mainly with far fewer symptoms and less muscle tightness when I get my once-per-week massage.  Lately, I haven't been getting my massage regularly and my symptoms are out of control!  I feel like my vision is fading, I'm dizzier and more wobbly than ever, and my leg cramps wake me up at night.  Massage seems to eliminate some toxins from my body.  For days to a week after a massage, I usually feel better!!  The one thing that does concern me about a massage is that since I spend so much of my days essentially inert - sitting or lying down - I'm concerned that a blood clot in my calves might be set free by a massage.  So I tell them to use a light touch on the calves.  

Find a massage school near you and you'll have a cheaper massage.  Some of the students try really hard and can be good.  Also, there may be good, licensed massage therapists also available at the school for a discounted price.  I had an excellent one (who unfortunately left to start nursing school - boohoo!).

WAF
I try to use reiki on myself.
I use hands above as it seems to work better.  Unfortunately, when I reiki other people it's more succesful
val
Along with my Rebif, I go to Acupuncture weekly.  Acupuncture doesn't just boost the immune system as some naysayers would have you see - it regulates it.  In the right hands, anyway.  I feel I have a good Acupuncturist.  Massage therapy, Yoga, those are my regular alternatives.  I listen to my bod, and when I'm doing too much it forces me to listen!

Cheers,
Guitar_grrrl
I am not a naysayer I do believe personally you have to be careful of who you go to. I am a realist.

I was cautioning my acupuncturist was not good she claimed she could Cure me and did not want me to go to the Neurologist or be on Copaxone. I stay away from anyone who claims to Cure MS.

Alex
What you said IS SO IMPORTANT !!!! My own sister is into Eastern Medicein, and has had to get her feelings hurt because I Wouldn't allow her to treat me.For one thing she's family and for another she said she as cured a few people I explained to her that wasn't possible, that either "they didn't have a DX of MS or they went into remission.... That was all...
Believe me if there were any cure, WE would know about it... Someday it will happen Science just isn't there yet... I think that the answer might come from Stem Cell Research, But I could also be very wrong..

I suggest that you think it through and if it sounds to good to be true......Than chances are it is...

{{{{~!~}}}}