Multiple Sclerosis Community
Head feeling Numb

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Head feeling Numb

Has anyone had numbness in the back of head?
Its really odd, I havent knocked my head but it feels numb to touch it comes and goes.
Two years ago I had a one off symtom of this and didnt pay attention to it but this time the sensation felt tingly.

I have umbness in arm, leg, stomache but never the back of head.
Having a new symtom is worring maybe its not related?

Has anyone got any ideas what it could be?.

Thanks tarter
I have had  numb patches on head as well as my back. These lasted many months and finally resolved. My guess is mine were a paresthesia.  These numb patches also itched but no amount of scratching would relief the itching sensation.

I also have numb patches that were of shorter duration on my arms and legs, etc.

I don't think you need to worry but I would write in down on your timeline of symptoms.

Ren
Hi Ren thanks for reasuring me on this one feeling less worried already!
I will documented it has you sugested.

Talking of itching I have been going crazy for last coupe of days i wonder what it is?
We all seem to have these odd occurences.

Hope you are doing well Ren and have enjoyed the holidays and the new year brings better health.

Best wishes tarter
I've had a numb head on and off for a couple of years - guess you can call me a numbskull!  For a while it tingled and buzzed all the time, and nearly drove me crazy.
To jen

Thanks for posting response at least I now know its one of the weird symtoms (symptoms) we go through.

The tingled and buzzed description is spot on what I feel so I guess I am a numskull too!!!

Take care tarter
I think it's something to do with the nerves in the skull - there's so much white matter there.  People with MS often have facial or head symptoms first.
I have had this problem for the last week, the back of my head is numb, but i have really bad pains shooting to the middle of my head,

I am just going to document it and tell my Neuro on Wednesday that this symptom is new for me,

I will let you know what he says,

Tyler
Tyler:

Along with the numbness in my head I have also had shooting pains in the back to top of my head along with pains that just stayed constant.

At the time those pains began I was seeing a pain specialist as well he had ordered that I have additional MRI's for them since I was new to head pain at the time but unfortunately I had too much pain to make it through all the MRI's ordered.

But, for me, despite the MRI's never being completed these pains did go away in time.  Every now and then they come back again.

I thought I would share.  Good luck with your appointment I will be curious to hear what your doctor has to say about it.

Missing_Me
Sorry to hear you seem to be having a rough time.
Did you say you couldnt complete MRI?

I too have problem with scan in fact today STOPPING AND STARTING  scan but managed to completre so now await results i will let you know the outcome.

This numbness is awfullin head sleeping is not good.

You take and speak soon tarter
I have the numb head thing - it goes really heavy sometimes as well as if something's squeezing it

have had the itching thing especially my left shoulder for a few years and I always thought it was just sensitive skin until I was put on Pregabalin for the whole jellylegs/L'Hermittes thing

now the itching has stopped - weird eh

Tyler:

Yes, I couldn't make it through the MRI's ordered.  My pain doctor had ordered three.  

He ordered a MRI of my brain, than the same with contrast, and a MRI of my cervical spine.   All and all I was told it would be an hour and a half.

The first MRI without contrast was all I could stand.  I was in such awful pain at the time.   Being still, especially laying only makes my pain worse.

Then ultimately I could not stand having the weight of the thing they put on your chest to protect you from the radiation.   That was only exaserbating the pain.

So in the end I was told that the MRI I fought to get through was of no help.

They added that there was no point in rescheduling the appointment until I was able to get through it.   Talk about an oxymoron I believe that would be called.

I had told them the only way I could get through it at that point is if they were to knock me out.   That received no real comment.

In hindsight I should have fought to somehow have this obviously needed test completed somehow at the time - however, I was not in the physical or mental shape to see that.

But in the end, a couple months later my pain was so much better than what it was at that point and my head pain - at least that head pain - had virtually stopped.

If I understand you correctly you are having trouble sleeping due to the way your head feels - pain/numbness feelings.

I found I literally had to lay on the floor with only a small throw pillow under my head.  I don't know why that was the only way I found enough comfort in my head to fall to sleep - but it worked.

For what it is worth, I hope it helps.

I am glad that you were able to complete your MRI.   Please make sure to post the outcome!

Missing_Me
SORRY YOU HAVE NEW STUFF GOING ON. I HAVE HEAD NUMBNESS TO THAT COMES AND GOES FOR WEEKS AT A TIME. MINES WEIRD & FEELS LIKE IM WEARING A FULL HEADBAND OR SOMETHING (HAVENT WORE 1 SINCE I WAS PROBLY 8 THOUGH LOL). SEEMS LIKE ITS ALL WEIRD THOUGH... GOOD LUCK & HOPE THE NUMB FEELING GOES AWAY
To Green924

Thanks for your kind words the description of headband FITS I have to keep rubbing my head at least today its not affecting me.

Hope you too are having a good day.

Thanks tarter