i was prescribed a Moduretic, (diuretics) it is making my heart go silly, it is pounding with me just walking up the stairs and jumping etc. and I am getting weird muscle cramps, I have just taken my second tablet. Hmmm.
Do the symptoms settle down? I am meant to take these for 6 weeks, prescribed by the ENT Specialist.
I would certainly be asking the doc some questions. I'm not sure why an ENT doctor (ear, nose, and throat, right?) would be ordering this type of medication for you or why he would plan to use it for six weeks. It is usually used to treat high blood pressure or heart failure. Are you taking other heart medication? Are you allergic to sulfa type drugs?
You don't have to give us the answers to these questions but any yes answers could be significant. Otherwise, the fact that taking two doses has impacted the quality of your life to this degree warrants a call to the doctor to let him know what is going on. I personally would be tempted to tell him I couldn't take any more tablets until you get some more information from him.
I would call your doctor's office about these side effects.
I assume the diuretic is being given on a trial basis to see if it helps your dizzy symptoms. My otoneurologist (neurologist specializing in dizziness) had me do a trial of a diuretic (only 3 weeks, but six weeks is probably much better). In my case it didn't help.
Interestingly, I found out recently that severe hearing loss can eventually lead to delayed endolymphatic hydrops--a condition for which diuretics certainly could be helpful. I was really surprised to hear that.
Heart palpitations and cramping is likely a sign that your potassium is too low. this is a common problem with taking most diuretics. the tend to waste potassium that is lost in the urine. You are having enough symptoms that you should call your doc and report this. He may want to get a set of electrolyte labs on you or may just prescribe some potassium.
We discussed this topic not long ago on this thread:
Good catch everyone - the important thing here is to relay this information to the doctor. Heart meds can be the devil to get adjusted or to find the right one for your system. It can take several different tries before you find the right one.
That trial and error program begins now with you making that call to the doctor. Good luck. - L
Maybe your potassium was low to begin with. I believe this diuretic is potassium sparing and would hope it takes more than two doses to drain your levels enough to cause such symptoms. You just never know though. At any rate, blood work needs to be done and the doctor notified.
Thanks for the info Nancy. That's new info for me.
Thanks for or your input, it was helpful and made me contact the doctor, I put an update under a new post.
The drugs were prescribed for the reason Nancy suggested
They are sulfur based and I am allergic to sulfur
They can muck up your pottasium levels as well,
I won't now ever know if they were going to help as I am not taking them now!
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.