Multiple Sclerosis Community
"Heavy" limbs

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

"Heavy" limbs

I noticed that yesterday, my right leg and right arm (mostly the arm) feel "heavy".  I can use them, and there is no pain, but they just feel "heavy" - don't know how else to describe it.  Like I am trying to move it in water or something.  Any idea wheter this is an MS thing or something else I should be worried about.  Thanks for any help with this.
I have that in my left leg and walk off balance or a year now?  I'm not yet Dx...my leg feel heavy, sometimes weak if I'm trying to walk up a small hill... I don't do stairs very well at all..can't go down them because of my double vision..

When I know more...I'll update...you too OK..
'
andie
Hi!

Yes, this is a something that is common in MS.  That feeling of heaviness.  Are you diagnosed, Jewski?  I'm sorry, but it's so hard to keep up with everybody.  I am not diagnosed with anything reasonable, and yet when I have this feeling of heaviness, it is often when I am having episodes of weakness.

I think, especially since you are having the heavy feeling on one side that it would be a good idea to be evaluated quickly by your neuro, or by your internist, if you can't see your neuro quickly.  If you are having weakness with this feeling of heaviness, it should be documented by a doc.  This would be an important factor in helping with a diagnosis if you don't yet have one, and in treatment if you need it.

Let us know what your doc says.

Feel well,

Momzilla*
yes I am dx.  But through a 20+ year history I have only had one episode of total numbness on right side and 2 boughts of optic neuritis.  After the 2nd one in January I was dx with confirmed ms.

Left message with neuro this monring, but no call back yet.  I now have the feeling in my lower jaw too, and more trouble with fine motor in right hand.  It has taken me forever to type this message.

If it is MS, is there anything that they can do about it, or just document and live with it?

J
Hey, J~

Sorry you're not doing well.  If you're having this much trouble, I really think you should call your neuro again.  Make some noise.

If it is MS, they can treat you, perhaps with steroids, to help calm the symptoms.  WHat kind of DMDs do you take?

Zilla*
thanks or your encouragement and support, but no thank you on the steriods.  

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!!  

I had a bad allergic reaction to the iv steriods.  Tolerated it with massive benedryl in order to get my sight back, but won't do that again unless it is REALLY bad again.

Neuro's nurse finallly called back and told me just to stay out of the heat.  Hard to do when its 90 degrees, you have 3 active kids off school on summer break, and own a lake cottage where we spend all our free time outside on the boat, in the water, etc.  If I have to stay inside all summer, it is going to really bite - pardon my language!!

Any other suggestion would be greatly apreciated as I don't think I can just stay out of the heat!!

J