Help please.....

sharonplez  
3 hours
To: anyone who can help

I'm new to this forum. I'm not sure if I'm on the right one but maybe someone can help me with some answers.

I'm a female who just turned 60. Over the last couple of weeks my hands and arms would fall asleep if I took a nap in my recliner. Dismissing that...the next thing started was my left side of my face would go numb for a while, Dismissing that...when I started giving out change (because I'm a cashier) my index finger went numb. Dismissing that....now my face and has started again to feel numb and my head is feeling prickly and not going away.
Also, I have felt extremely exhausted. Last night I woke up 4:00 am with my body shaking (like I was cold) even though that wasn't the case.
Now this has my attention. So I decided to look up some information about the going numb and everything has led me to MS.

Do all these symptoms go with MS? I read it only affects people 30-50 yrs. old. My Aunt and her daughter died while having MS. So I'm scared and unsure what to do.

I called my doctor and I have an appointment to see her Monday. I will ask if she will order an MRI under the circumstances.

Please let me know what you think. I have become so scared and anxious that I took a Xanax to calm myself down. I also do not want to go on the other pages and research brain tumors, because I don't know what I will find.
I would appreciate any help.   Thank you, Sharon
You are in the right place, but keep in mind that we are not medical professionals, and we can offer only guidance and support, not diagnoses and prescriptions.

I understand that you're scared ... but you have a doctor visit on Monday, and so you'll get attention soon, and your long-term prognosis won't change as a result of this interim period. I would advise you not to read various websites, especially about tumors, etc., because you'll see all the worst-case scenarios and contribute to your panicked mindset. Stick to this thread, compile a list of questions for us and/or your doctor, and compile a detailed list for the doctor of your symptoms and when they occurred. Otherwise, do something fun this weekend!

Your symptoms certainly point to MS ... but they may also point to other things that I'm not familiar with. Your age doesn't rule out MS. Your family history of MS lends support to the same diagnosis for you, but again, only after likely an MRI, lumbar puncture, and/or other testing will you have the answer (and a few folks don't even get the answer then).

Ask questions anytime!
Hi and welcome! :)

I understand it is scary when our bodies go all weird on us. Try not to pay too much attention to Dr. Google ;-)

Having said that, it is good that you are going to see your doctor. He or she may end up referring you to a neurologist. Being diagnosed with MS can be a long process, and for good reason, because there are so many mimics out there.

Easy to say, hard to do I know, but try not to think about the worst.

There are a lot of nice helpful people here who know more about this than I who will hopefully chime in soon.

Best of luck, Hugs,
Minnie :)
I will not read any articles because like you said it will only get me more upset and scared.

I will get back to you after I see my Doctor on Monday.

It sure feels good and reassuring to know there is someone out there to talk to.

Thank you for responding.   Hugs back at you, take care, Sharon

Hi sharon and welcome,

While its true that your age puts you outside the common age group for diagnosis, and age doesn't exclude MS as a posibility, it more often turns out to be one of the other more common explantions. MS has many mimics, and being the age you are, it does reduce the odds that it is MS and not something else instead. Having family with MS doesn't actually increase the odds very much at all, research hasn't been able to find a genetic connection for MS even though autoimmune conditions can run in families, there is just a lot of mystery with MS.

Try to stay calm and not worry about something it just may not be, speak to your dr on Monday and dont forget to take a list of all the things that have happened. Include everything, even the odd things, embarrasing things and even any shifting mood changes etc. try not to leave anything out because it will all help your dr work out what it can and cant be.

Hugs...........JJ

ps let us know how you get on :o)
Hello and blessings I am 53 and I woke one morning in July 2012 numb from the waist down without any previous issues. I had changed my mattress around the night before so thought maybe that was the cause. Of course I know better. I am a massage therapist but it was not pain so I ignored it for 3 days..yeah I know ...I just found out I have a 5mm lesion in my cerebrum...MS?  well my neuro is treating it as such. A MRI seems to be the best diagnostic tool. I wish you well. I am so glad I found this site. You are NOT ALONE Others are there for you even if not in you presence
Hi, just got back from the Dr's. office and she did schedule me for a brain MRI only, for Friday. At least this should rule out a tumor or cancer or mini strokes. She said if more testing needs to be done we can do this at a latter time. So now I will wait to see what that shows.....I pray it is none of the above.

I can't tell you how comforting it is to be here and to have so many people who support me during this period of confusion and anxiety of not knowing what is going on. I used all the advice you all had given me and had a notebook of things to bring along that has been going on the past month to today. It sure helped, I don't think I left anything out.

Don't know how long it will take to get the results back, but I will post as soon as I find anything out.

Thank all of you....Have a Happy Thanksgiving.....Hugs, Sharon
Thank you for the update, Sharon. You are off to a good start. Best wishes and have a blessed holiday :)

Hugs, Minnie :)
Sharon, I left you a message, check your inbox
Hi......had the MRI (with and without contrast). Got a phone call that everything was normal.  The message said my Dr. consulted with the Neurologist about my symptoms and suggested I have my neck arteries looked at and a test done to rule out blocked arteries.

I will try follow up on this to see if I can be worked into the schedule within the next few days.

Until then, I won't worry about it....it's all in Gods hand.

I will post more latter. I also asked for a copy of the MRI results.  Take care, Sharon

P.S. @ SarahL2491, Thank you for your message.
Amen.  It really is all in God's hand.

The neck artery test is a cakewalk compared to an MRI, BTW.