Multiple Sclerosis Community
Help with interpreting my MRI's anybody have similar MRI?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi Everybody~
I'm 30 years old.
On December 31st I had an MRI done & I'm trying to figure out what it's saying, in comparison to the other one's I have had done.
I have had 3 MRI's done. I am trying to figure out what they are saying.

MRI # 1: 4/18/2006---- MRI of the brain:
Findings: There is an abnormal lesion present in the brain just lateral to the anterior horn of the right lateral ventricle. There appears to be a cystic fluid collection measuring approximately 7x3mm with an adjacent area of abnormal increased signal measuring approx. 20x8mm. There are several tiny areas of abnormal signal change on the FLAIR sequence in the left centrum semiovale. Differential diagnosis for the large lesion may represent an area of previous infraction w/ subsequent encephalomalacia. The possibility of a vascular anomaly cannot be excluded.

IMPRESSION: There is an abnormal lesion in the brain parenchyma located in the periventricular white matter adjacent to the anterior horn of the right lateral ventricle. There appears to be a cystic region present with an area of surrounding gliosis. Whether this represents an area of chronic infraction, prior infection, or vascular anomaly is indeterminate. Further evaluation with contrast MRI is recommended. In addition, There is a small area of abnormal signal change in the left centrum semiovale. Given that there are two lesions, the possibility of a demyelinating process cannot be entirely excluded.

MRI # 2: 3/31/2008: MRI of Brain with & w/out contrast
Findings: At the right front periventricular deep white matter, there is a 9mm linear lesion. demonstrating T1 hypointensity, and T2 hyperintensity with a peripheral FLAIR hyperintensity. A few punctate lesions of T2/FLAIR hyperintensity are present of the bifrontal periventricular deep white matter & centrum semiovale. The lesions demonstrate no associated enhancement or DWI hyperintensity.

Impression: A 9mm nonenhancing lesion noted of the right frontal deep white matter which may be compatible with a chronic lacunar infract versus a chronic lesion secondary to demyelinating process such as multiple sclerosis, or remote trauma. There is adjacent gliotic change. A few nonspecific subcentimeter foci of signal change also noted of the bifrontal deep white matter. There are no associated signal characteristics to suggest active M.S. lesions. There is no evidence of enhancing mass or meningeal lesion. No hemorrhage is present. Correlation with older studies would be useful.

MRI # 3: 12/31/2011- MRI of Brain with & w/out contrast.
Findings: A sharply defined focal area of diminished T1 & increased T2 signal intensity is within the head of the right caudate nucleus.

Impression: Single area of signal abnormality involving the head of the right caudate nucleus. This is probably due to an area of gliosis. A dilated perivascular space is considered less likely.

I am tying to go over all 3 MRI's & try to compare what was found. I'm wondering with M.S. would my MRI reports indicate M.S? I have been to 2 different neurologists the first dr. I went to said I have M.S. (according to the 1st 2 MRI's). I went for a 2nd opinion & the other dr. said "You do not have M.S." It is probably due to something else like an infection at birth.
Overall I am very confused. If anybody has had MRI's with similar results, I would love to hear about it.

I am pretty sure I have Multiple Sclerosis. I get hot pretty easily & can result in a flushed face.
Cognitive learning issues- hard time learning things, sometimes remembering stuff.
When I get nervous I will start shaking, hand tremors (sometimes)
Sometimes I get up to fast & will black out
Once in a while I will have twitching with my leg, sometimes if I hit my elbow/arm it will have tingling.

Luckily i don't have the issues with bowel/bladder, I'm not in a wheel chair.

I know people have different symptoms, which is horrible.

Thanks,
Bonnie
I agree with doublevision - most of your symptoms do not sound like MS.  I do have to ask about the arm tingling, though.  Are you hitting your elbow on the funny bone and getting the classic shock sensation?  Or are you simply tapping on your arm and getting that sensation?

There's a paresthesia called Tinel's sign.  If you have it, tapping lightly on your wrist will send a zapping sensation up the arm into the elbow.  I had this in my right forearm as a result of nerve damage.

I think you need to talk to a neurologist about your MRIs.  Gliosis is not normal.
I think it's always a great idea to always get copies of medical tests, including both the paper report and CD of MRIs.  The downside to getting them prior to seeing your doc to go over them is that it puts one in the difficult spot like the one you are now in, trying to figure out what they mean without the trainig and expertise to do so.

Because of that I'm not comfortable trying to decipher what your reports mean, though in answer to your question: with MS would the report say MS?  It may or may not, depends on the radiologist.  It definitely should never be definitive eg: this patient has MS, as MS is diagnosed not just on MRI alone but on other testing (such as evoked potentials, lumbar puncture), other testing such as blood work to rule out any mimics, and based on patient history of symptoms and clinical evaluation.  Some radiologists may use terms like "consistent with MS lesions" or "evidence of demyelinating disease" similar to your second MRI or something along those lines.  Some may make no mention of MS as they leave it to the neurologist to make that interpretation.

I will also just add that most of the symptoms you mention honestly don't sound like MS to me, based on my own experience and what I've learned from others:

Many MS patients find that increased body temp - eg: due to fever, exercise, hot weather, hot bath - can temporarily worsen their symptoms.  This is called Uthoff's phenomenon.  However, what you describe: getting hot easily and flushed face do not sound like MS synmptoms to me.  I do get facial flushing occasionally but this is a side effect of my medication.  If you are presently on any meds you should check to see if this symptom is actually a side effect.

Cognitive/learning issues are a MS symptom, often but not always later in the disease process.  However this is a very nonspecific symptom and could be due to many other condition,s as well as again, a side effect of meds.

Tremors are also a MS symptom but again, nonspecific and a symptom of other diseases too.  I haven't heard of anyone with MS whose tremors are brought on my nervousness.

Getting up fast and blacking out sounds like it might be a low blood pressure issue.

Tingling upon hitting your arm is normal.

Will you be seeing a neurologist soon to go over your MRI results?  If so, till then try not to be too anxious about it.  I know, easier said than done, but it won't help you to get worked up unnecessarily.  It helps during the waiting if there's things you can do, friends to visit with, etc to keep your mind off of things.

Thanks so much,
I appreciate the responses. I am confused, I saw 2 drs. the first dr. said it's M.S.: by looking at my MRI's- lesions on the brain, cystic issues  
I saw the 2nd neurologist who said it's something at birth. after I was born I was diagnosed with strep B (blood infection). Which can cause issues with development.

with the tingling- I notice I have this once in a while. I will be doing something & have this happen.