Multiple Sclerosis Community
Helpful lifestyle choices?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Helpful lifestyle choices?

I'm sure there is already a thread about this somewhere, but I'd love to have some fresh answers from you guys.  I just posted about some of what my husband is currently experiencing but I was hoping for some general ideas for how to live better with relapsing/remitting MS.  Any ideas would be so appreciated!

Thanks,
--Casey:-)
Hi Casey,
I used the "Search this community" bar on the right side of the page just above the Recent Activity" side bar. this is a search engine for the archive of this forum only so you can search to find out if there  is info in some old threads. I put in  "lifestyle changes" and this is what came up:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/Just-thinking/show/1218840

I hope you find some answers to your questions. If not ask away : )

ren
When some one first mentioned I might have MS I slowly changed my diet and started exercising. Very slowly. I started walking in the Mall it was winter and we had a mall walkers program. I could not walk too many laps mind you. Then since 2007 I have slowly changed my diet. Getting rid of certain foods a little at a time. I loved junk food. My idea was not a diet to cure MS it was I want to be in the best shape I can be. I had two reasons. The first I did not want to have extra weight to drag around as I lost more mobility. If I have trouble walking dragging more weight makes it harder. Second I did not want any other health issues if possible. I felt MS was enough thank you very much.

I started a basic yoga class and went to PT and learned so stretches and core building exercises. I stretch everyday which helps with muscle spasms and pain. I later started swimming and then horseback riding. I was not an exercise freak when I started. I only got exercise with the manual labor I did all my life.

I have finally gotten my diet down to the perimeter of a super market. I go in and fill my cart with fresh fruits and vegetables. Then I get lean meat. I get almond milk, some whole milk and the only cheese I get is Feta. I go to one of the Supermarket clubs and buy organic rice and big bags of nuts from the baker's section. Mind you I started off slowly. On a salad I do not used commercial dressing. I make my own with mostly lemon juice.
Your taste buds change over time from the processed food and you do not like it. I can no longer eat fast food. I drink sodas rarely. We have a water cooler and I drink water and iced herbal tea. I do still drink coffee it is my vice and it helps my migraine.

I personally do not smoke and do not drink. Smoking is really bad for MS.

I was as depressed as a person could be at the time of diagnosis so I sought help. I take medication and go to counseling.

In all these years I have lost about ten pounds a year. My mood is better. My doctor says I am her healthiest patient accept for the MS.

I think laughter is important I try to laugh at myself and what this silly disease does to me.

Oh and I have learned to contact my Doctor when a problem arises. I am one of those folks that waits. I have been in really bad pain I took every drug in my arsenal and nothing is helping so first thing this morning I called my Doctor. This is real progress for me.

Alex ( not a guy)