Multiple Sclerosis Community
Helpful lifestyle choices?
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Helpful lifestyle choices?

I'm sure there is already a thread about this somewhere, but I'd love to have some fresh answers from you guys.  I just posted about some of what my husband is currently experiencing but I was hoping for some general ideas for how to live better with relapsing/remitting MS.  Any ideas would be so appreciated!

Thanks,
--Casey:-)
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
739070_tn?1338607002
Hi Casey,
I used the "Search this community" bar on the right side of the page just above the Recent Activity" side bar. this is a search engine for the archive of this forum only so you can search to find out if there  is info in some old threads. I put in  "lifestyle changes" and this is what came up:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/Just-thinking/show/1218840

I hope you find some answers to your questions. If not ask away : )

ren
Blank
667078_tn?1316004535
When some one first mentioned I might have MS I slowly changed my diet and started exercising. Very slowly. I started walking in the Mall it was winter and we had a mall walkers program. I could not walk too many laps mind you. Then since 2007 I have slowly changed my diet. Getting rid of certain foods a little at a time. I loved junk food. My idea was not a diet to cure MS it was I want to be in the best shape I can be. I had two reasons. The first I did not want to have extra weight to drag around as I lost more mobility. If I have trouble walking dragging more weight makes it harder. Second I did not want any other health issues if possible. I felt MS was enough thank you very much.

I started a basic yoga class and went to PT and learned so stretches and core building exercises. I stretch everyday which helps with muscle spasms and pain. I later started swimming and then horseback riding. I was not an exercise freak when I started. I only got exercise with the manual labor I did all my life.

I have finally gotten my diet down to the perimeter of a super market. I go in and fill my cart with fresh fruits and vegetables. Then I get lean meat. I get almond milk, some whole milk and the only cheese I get is Feta. I go to one of the Supermarket clubs and buy organic rice and big bags of nuts from the baker's section. Mind you I started off slowly. On a salad I do not used commercial dressing. I make my own with mostly lemon juice.
Your taste buds change over time from the processed food and you do not like it. I can no longer eat fast food. I drink sodas rarely. We have a water cooler and I drink water and iced herbal tea. I do still drink coffee it is my vice and it helps my migraine.

I personally do not smoke and do not drink. Smoking is really bad for MS.

I was as depressed as a person could be at the time of diagnosis so I sought help. I take medication and go to counseling.

In all these years I have lost about ten pounds a year. My mood is better. My doctor says I am her healthiest patient accept for the MS.

I think laughter is important I try to laugh at myself and what this silly disease does to me.

Oh and I have learned to contact my Doctor when a problem arises. I am one of those folks that waits. I have been in really bad pain I took every drug in my arsenal and nothing is helping so first thing this morning I called my Doctor. This is real progress for me.

Alex ( not a guy)

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank