Multiple Sclerosis Community
Here we go again!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Here we go again!

Hi, all... Hope you're all having good days lately. I'm heading into what feels like relapse #2 of my "might-be" MS and not sure how to handle it or who to tell so here I am hoping you can make suggestions for both the how to handle and the who to call and when.

Last week we started to get our first summery-feeling weather with temps going from 4-10-ish C straight to 25C (about 77 F). Maybe I should back up and say I've been having insane allergies for a few weeks that also developed into a sinus infection last week. That combined with the lovely new warm weather has been a real kick in the seat.

I am having pain again when I move my eyes and am waking up every morning with diplopia that takes about 5-10 minutes to wear off. (Last time, my docs said this is very strange.  Anyone else ever have diplopia start out like this?) This isn't a huge deal, but I'm also tingling randomly in my legs and left hand and holding my breath that it stops here. I also have strange head pains slightly right and left of center in the back of my head as well as right at the top/center of my head. I've tripped over my own toes a few times recently, too, and am wondering if this could be caused by foot drop or something like it? I'm not dragging my feet anymore, but am still occasionally tripping and falling over my own toes on completely flat surfaces... weird? or sounds familiar?

Anyway, I've got transition lenses to help with the light sensitivity thing and am hoping that this is just a pseudo and not a flare, but am feeling unsure of whether I should call my doc or not at this point. I really don't want to let it go like it did last time, but neither do I want to jump every time I feel strange - although if I did, it'd be a good deal of exercise,  likely followed by some type of injury, lol! Any suggestions? Anyone else dealing with issues due to the change of seasons?

Cheers!
Tags: diplopia
I think you should call the neurologist's office,  You can tell them what's happening, so they can figure out the next step.  They may need to have you come in.

I hope you feel better soon.
Tammy
I have had double vision. It has been worse in the morning but I've associated that now with my shower. Other times, it's just I am tired or flaring. I have right side facial, eye weakness so it goes with that.

I am with Tammy. Either way, you need to be evaluated by your Neuro so give them a call. :)

Hugs
Thanks.  I'm still finding the line between overreacting and normal concern.  I got an appointment with my neuro's office for Wednesday afternoon.  

Last time I started getting diplopia it stuck around for about 5 months and this time I don't want that to happen.  Is it normal to have eye pain with diplopia?  I've had a lot of eye pain and problems since this started, but I'm not sure if it's a normal thing to have pain with diplopia or not.  

Hugs!
Laura
I am probably not the best person to ask. Unfortunately, I have had a lot of orbital pain surrounding my eye. I had atypical TN that lingered for 10 months and the ON I had also seems to have some residual pain. Same eye. The right side of my body took a beating!  
Every morning I have diplopia that lasts on average about 1-2 hours. I have had this going on for many years now. Luckily it is fairly mild so I can function to an extent as long as I don't have to read any fine print.LOL  I have yet to see any explanation of why this happens.

Dennis
Sidesteps, ouch!  ON and TN.. sounds like a nightmare!  I haven't had any experience with TN, but I've heard that it's one of the most painful of the MS symptoms.  I hope you're on the mend now.  

Dennis - I wish we could get an explanation for how and why this happens.  I have told 2 neuros that since my full-time diplopia resolved that I just get diplopia for a short while in the morning occasionally.  They both told me it was unheard of. I have pain in both eyes off and on throughout the day and issues with light sensitivity.

Laura
Same thing here with the eye pian and light sensitivities. I think it might not be heard of by your Neuros is that people are not mentioning to them. I know I have never mentioned it to my Neuros. Just too many more bothersome symptom to talk about each time I see them.

I think my most bothersome eye problem is that it take something like at least 1/2 hour for my eyes to adjust to changes in light levels. Going outside or coming inside on a sunny day. This is why I don't drive at night.

Dennis
Thanks for sharing that, Dennis.  I try explaining it to my neuros, especially since I'm still not diagnosed, but so far I'm the only one out there with these problems if I believed them.  ;)  It helps to know that this is a valid issue that does happen and not just to me.  

I had the longer adjustment time to light changes last year in midst of the bad diplopia, but it did get better.  Now it seems that all of that is coming back with the warmer weather, but I'm still hoping it won't be as bad.  I think you're wise not to drive at night.  Have you had these eye problems for a long time?  I hope that they will improve.  

Hugs,
Laura
I've always had the light sensitivity due to blue eyes, but it got worse since I developed MS. The vision problem in the mornings started maybe 4 years ago as well as the slow adjustment to light changes. The eye pain every once in a while started about 4 months ago. I'm not sure if these things can actually be blamed on my MS as other factors such as age and the ton of medications I take could also be at play.  

Dennis
That could be.  Medications can really mess with us sometimes.  

I have brown eyes and the light sensitivity thing is new all new for me, but I still hope that this time won't be as long/bad as last time.  

Take care,
Laura