Multiple Sclerosis Community
Hi my brother is having problems, please help

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

My brother, who has had a heavy dose of MS for ten years, now it has affected his balance and the muscles in his legs are giving out when he trys to go from the toilet back to his wheelchair. His wife helps but it extrememly hard on her. Anyone out there have any tips for this situation??
There are many drugs available now that weren't around 10 years ago, such as Ampyra, which helps with walking, although I don't know if it's effective for someone that is not walking at all. There are also a few disease-modifying drugs that can slow further progression of your brother's disease if it is relapsing-remitting MS.

When his condition is affecting those around him, a trip to the neurologist or other medical professional(s) is in order. Of course, none of this will help him or his wife today or even this week, but keep asking questions and there's a wealth of information from members here that can help.
I'd recommend your brother and his wife meet with an occupational therapist who can assess the situation and offer suggestions and possibly equipment/devices that may help to ease the difficulty in transferring in the bathroom or from wheelchair to bed, etc.  An in home assessment would be ideal if this service is available where you live.  Perhaps your brother's neurologist or family physician can provide a referral.
Thank you both I appreciate the ideas, I will pass it on to his caretaker, his wife. God bless you