Multiple Sclerosis Community
Hiccups

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hiccups

Is getting the hiccups often seemingly out of nowhere a symptom of MS?  I read a brief mention of it earlier but I wanted to ask.....
Knowing that I have been diagnosed for 12 years, I can't say that hiccups are a symptom of the MS I suffer from.

Would be interested to hear what others have to say about this subject.

Heather
You were probably referring to my post...These are not the run of the mill hiccups.  I have them about 15-20 times a day, everyday.  I forget term that my neuro uses for them but apparently they can be an indicator of neurologic problems.  I am currently taking Zanaflex for them which helps the frequency.
Hiccups are spasms of the diaphragm, if I have this right. There definitely are neuro disorders characterized by hiccups, among other symptoms. I don't know if MS is one of them, though it seems logical.

Hope Quix will comment here.

ess
Taking from emedicine (my favorite site)"Persistent or intractable episodes are more likely to result from serious pathophysiological processes affecting a component of the hiccup reflex mechanism. More than 100 causes have been described; however, in many cases, the cause remains idiopathic."  MS was one of the 100 causes listed
Thanks for the info.  I was referring to your post, Jenn.  It just had me thinking because I get them a lot, too....  ;)  /me shrugs

I love how I'm just "tree" now.  :P
Thank you SO much for the info.  You have taught me something I knew nothing about.  Thanks...

Heather
I do get hiccups more more frequently since being dx'ed.  I keep forgetting to mention it to my dr because of having so many other things to discuss at my appts.  It certainly seems like it may be related to my MS given these started right around the time of my last relapse.  They start out of the blue and can go on for ages.  Quite annoying but the least of my worries.  Curious though, isn't it?

db1
Violent hiccups that can come in the middle of the night?  Just happened to me! Neuro doesn't think episode was ms related. My most distressing symptoms are difficulty breathing, swallowing and speaking. I have primary progressive and feel such burning and crushing in my chest, I would swear that these spasms are ms related.
I get hiccups all the time - painful ones, that won't go away.  I also have esophageal spasms that feel like a heart attack - but with a glass of water, they go away.  I can actually feel my throat relaxing.  I think they're triggered by acid reflux, but I also get them after exercising.
I've gone through periods of times when I had hiccups several times a day for a several weeks to a month.  I know this isn't the type that people without neurological problems get.  Since the diaghram is a muscle, I guess this makes sense to have spasms in this muscle in MS.  I also get the esophageal spasms, too and will have my throat close up to where it's hard to talk.  

Deb