Multiple Sclerosis Community
Hoarse Voice

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hoarse Voice

I have experienced this once before I was diagnosed with MS and I developed a hoarse voice without a sore throat. I am a singer but this happened before all the major carol services/singing and it is still croaky now. I am not unwell, just a bit tired but hey that is fairly normal these days and to be expected with all the family home and additional cooking, housework not to mention Christmas.

So I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions and is it possibly connected to MS and throat muscles as I seem to develop a weak voice when I am tired. I do not think I have any sort of throat infection, thrush etc and can only think that I have somehow strained my voice?

Hope everyone has had a great Christmas.

With love

Sarah x
I get this regularly and have this at the moment.  I just assumed it was my vocal cords/throat muscles being intermittently tired and weak.  Interesting to hear if other people get this.

If it's any consolation, I've been told my voice sounds sexy when I have this.

Regards
I get a hoarse voice all the time, maybe every day.  And it is worse when I am tired.

sexy is good..!

hugs, meg
Well, unfortuntely for me, I have had a HUGE problem with my voice.  Started with being hoarse probably in the spring, got worse and worse until it was gone.  Seriously gone. nothing, nada, zip...

Went to ENT, vocal cords a mess.  Unsure the cause, thought maybe from Tysabri, neuro d/c asap.  That was in July.  I had to use a dry erase board for over a month!  Not easy with 4 boys...seriously maddening.

Anyway, I restarted back on Tysabri last month and am being followed by ENT every 6 weeks,

My voice is better, still cant sing, and I too am a singer :(

At least I can talk now, still get very hoarse by evening, or when tired. Need to keep a quieter voice and not speak too much.  Very very difficult, i am a talker!

Best of luck w your voice...keep a watch on it.

Michelle
Sarah,  are you able to go see a ENT doc?  They could do a thorough investigation of you throat, vocal cords, etc. and make sure there is not another problem going on.

I have had the same problem and was evaluated by the ENT.  He couldn't find anything, either.  But it never got explained.  My sexy voice comes and goes, with no pattern to why.

It's good to see you here -we miss you regulars and hope you are doing well with your oral drug.
I have had hoarseness with two flares.

I think it's dysphonia.

The types of voice problems or dysphonia that are characteristic of MS include harshness, hoarseness, breathiness, and hypernasality.

Thanks for all your comments which I found reassuring and helpful.
I was previously referred to an Ent consultant who did various unpleasant tests, including putting a tube with a small camera through my nose and down my throat. There was nothing dramatic to declare son as it is the same, I do not really want to through the stress of that again. I just wanted to know if others experienced it and I am now fairly convinced it is my MS.  Will mention to my neuro at my next check up and meanwhile zip my lips and try not to chat so much on the phone!

Anyhow a little premature but just to wish all you lovely folks a very Happy New Year.

With love

Sarah x
I don't have anything in the way of advice but just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery and a Happy New Year.  Hugs, Deb
Just found out yesterday that I have another UTI so this may explain why I have been feeling under the weather. I am on antibiotics so hopefully will feel better in a day or two.