Multiple Sclerosis Community
Horrible Eye pain - need help

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Horrible Eye pain - need help

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of what I could do about my eye pain and horrendous headache,  I think this is day 4 of the migraine like pain.  My left eye is blurry and my vision seems shaky which makes me feel sick.  I have super pressure behind my eyes.  I have taken 800 mg of ibuprofen with gravol which allows me to function but the minute it wears off bam!  Then I tried 2 T-3's with 2 gravol - at least I fell asleep but when I woke up it was back.  I have gone to the ER once, in the past, after a week of this and they gave me Demerol.  I am not sure what to do.  I am new here still mid diagnosis.  I am willing to try anything.  Thanks
If you are seeing a neurologist for evaluation of possible MS, you should notify her/him of this symptom.  A MRI may be in order to determine if you are having a MS flare, or at minimum an exam of your vision.  If what you're experiencing is determined to be optic neuritis, IV steroids may be the only med that will provide any real relief, and will accelerate recovery time.  

When I had ON - a year after MS dx - I went to the ER because of the pain they agreed based on my symptoms and MS dx that it was ON, treated me with morphine and toradol for the pain which really just helped me sleep off the worst of it, and IV steroids which worked quickly for the pain and blurry vision.  

It's important that your doctor(s) know about this episode, so that you can be treated for it, and because it may provide important information to aid in the diagnostic process.

Keep us posted as to how you make out.  Hope you feel better soon.
Sounds like me when I was DX a year ago!  I had ON really bad and a headach that would not give not matter what I did.  I went to see my optomitrist and she sent me the next morning to get an MRI with an optic-nurologist.  He admitted me to the hospital for IV steroids and MRI and spinal tap (holy fast, furious and scary since nothing else in my health was odd at all)  Anyway I agree...Tell you docs and be forceful to get help as soon as you can.

I wish you all the best and hope you can get through the DX process soon..  

DV is excellent with vision advice. I also had significant issues with my vision where no one (specialists) really knew what was wrong. Post diagnosis, it was atypical TN and ON. I have what I would consider to be pretty significant vision damage but it has improved since the worst of my symptoms. (You can search my posts if you want)

My advice --- contact your doctor. See a Neuro-ophth if you haven't  seen one. She was able to see me and prerform the OCT (test) on my eyes which showed atrophy. When I eventually came down with ON; the OCT and Field Vision Test showed ON. I was diagnosed immediately and placed on DMD's.

IVSM (Steroids helped tremendously)