Multiple Sclerosis Community
Hot bath

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hot bath

Hot bath and cognitive issues?

Anyone?
Hot baths are a major no-no with MS. Seriously. They can cause pseudo-relapses, and, rarely, permanent disability.

The heat is thought to slow down nerve action, with very bad results.

ess
The hot bath test use to be the only way of dx MS, that was many years ago and no longer used because it can be dangerous in some cases. If a patient experienced a worsening of sx, then the conclusion was that they had MS. I'm not aware of cognitive sx alone though, usually its physical sx but that could be because cognitive issues in MS is something only noted as a sx in resent years.

Cheers..........JJ
Everything gets worse when I'm too warm - cognition, walking, muscle control.  I get the tremors too...
I don't seem to have any problems with heat (yet).  I love my hot showers in the morning and I still like the feeling of a hot car.  The only thing I notice is that my eye starts to hurt when I am riding in the car and the heat is blowing in my face (optic neuritis type pain).  I do have a definite MS diagnosis, so who knows.  Maybe heat sensitivity will kick in later for me?  Is this normal?  

Katie

Many people with MS – though not all – are sensitive to heat. Illness or infection, hot weather and exercise can all raise the body’s temperature, which can make existing MS symptoms feel temporarily worse or bring about fatigue, weakness or vision problems. This is known as ‘Uhthoff’s phenomenon’ and it probably occurs in MS because heat makes it harder for messages to pass between the brain and the rest of the body. Uhthoff symptoms fade away after the body cools down again and these temporary changes need not be a reason to avoid exercise.  (uk ms society)

Uhthoffs is one of the common MS sx and i'm thinking that your hot eyeballs = ON pain could still fit in there some how but i'm not entirely sure, it seems strange that its only happening then and not with other heat situations too.

Cheers.........JJ

ps your profile says your not dx so you may want to update it if your now dx with MS :-)
@katie, what you are describing in the car with the hot air blowing sounds like dry eye to me.  That can cause eye pain, and really odd headache pains, like stabbing knife pains. You might try artificial tears and see the eye doctor.

@Lisa - lots of things get wonky when I overheat.  I'm not sure about the cognitive problem.  My vision definitely gets wavey and out of focus when I over heat.  Please be cautious with those hot baths.

When I got out of the bath and drying myself off, I couldnt stand on one leg as I lifted it to dry around the ankles, lost my balance so to speak.

Then I sat down on the floor in the bathroom for a bit while I cooled off because I felt weak'ish.  I then went to type a message to Kelly belly and knowing that I have 120 wpm typing skills without looking at the keys, for some reason, my fingers were not automatically typing what I was thinking (at that time).  Now I'm better.

I went to bed at 8pm last night and woke up 7am this morning.  A wee bit slow to start, confused at what my intentions were this morning ie: making coffee and what I needed to get it.

I just want to remind you I am not diagnosed with MS so therefore I have no clue as to what is going on with me. Im just a bunch of neurological symptoms right now. Heh.

Thank you all for commenting.  It was really a weird feeling last night, but I was so chilled (even though my heat is on at 72 degrees in the house) I thought a hot bath would rid of the chilled to the bone feeling.  But I did get a lovely 11 hour sleep out of it!
Lis!

Did you learn your lesson? haha  You know I'm kidding, but steer clear, ya hear - MS or not!

Congrats on that 11 hour though - I could use some of those hours.

-Shell
Yep yep, but I don't think I could ever take a luke warm shower!  I don't think I've taken a bath in like a year.  It felt so nice.   My parrot was on his stand on the side of the tub talking away and singing while I laid there like a limp rag.  It was sooooooooooooooooo good!

Today is a weird day (probably for a weird person such as myself), it feels as though my entire body is having tremors (light ones though).  I just got out of the shower too :P

I'll be sure to pass you all who suffer from lack of sleep some of my hours!!!

---- Lisa
I LOVE LOVE LOVE at hot bath. My favourite place to read and just get away from everything. Having a luke warm bath is not going to cut it.  

I have yet to really notice any change after a hot bath. I do feel a bit sluggish after good soak, but I thought I was just too relaxed!