Multiple Sclerosis Community
I cnat walk has anyone recovered fully is there any hope?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hello All,

My balane is poor and my foot drops and drags. i can not complete a heel toe push up and forward motion , it leans to teh left and trips me.  Have you ever had these symptoms and if so did you recover fully. Even for a short period of time. I have no disagnosis. I do have 80% of the  symptons.

Please share with me. I stay in the  house all day because i can not balance myself.

Hi there,

All I can offer is sincere wishes that you get answers to your question, and that your symptoms relent soon.

I have similar symptoms but to a much lesser degree.  I don't know if mine are from my maybe (undiagnosed) MS, or from a herniated disc and other back issues I have.  

From what I've read, if your symptoms are from MS, and your symptoms come and go  (relapsing/remitting), then these too shall pass.

I'm hoping you find some peace and comfort.

Kathy
hi SOMEBODYGOTTADOIT ,

i am sorry hearing you havee this    troubles. Have your doctor evaluated you ?
while i can not tell you it will or not go away, but even if you are not yet dx'd, you can have physical therapy that may help, at least teach you ways to keep yo u safe. And that is very important.
IT souods like some     kind oof assistance is in order, foot brace, cane, walker or w/c....these    are for our own safety and give us somewhat a bit more independance.

I understand thhe difficulty of the changes.  Do you have some support systeem (friends,   family?)I can not long go out alone but withw help it can be done. Keepp faith and positive.
amo

Oh my goodness!!!!  I sure hope that you are under the care of an excellent neurologist.  Most of the people on this forum will recommend an MS Specialist to rule out MS (See Quix's article in the Health Pages and the top right of this page entitiled "Why and MS Specialist?").  

Please tell us your story.  There's a lot of member in this forum why are undiagnosed and diagnosed that will be able to help you with trying to obtain a diagnosis or point you in the right direction.

Unfortunately, there is no answer to this question if it's MS.  If you have relapsing-remitting MS, you may fully recover.  You may also not recover fully, too.  My sister, who also has MS, has foot drop.  However, she uses an plastic cast-like thing on her leg/foot called an AFO.  This helps her to keep her foot from dragging on the ground so that she can walk.  She's also undergone physical therapy for this.  She has had this problem for a couple of years and is now getting an infusion (Tysabri) for her MS.  She's just now started to have tingling in her foot, so I'm holding out hope that she'll once again have full use of her foot.  Are you having some physical therapy?  How did this symptom appear?  

I hope to hear from you soon.  Welcome to the forum.
Deb
I am not dx and I had my first time of foot drop and drag. It was only a couple of steps that the foot could not take. It was right foot and pointed out, does this make a different anyone, if the toe points out or not? I think I had my first "flair up" this week and it lasted for five days. There was too much stuff going on to not be one.I am still tired and will cry at the drop of a hat, I don't know why.I have to go to sleep, my prayers are with everyone, read you tomorrow, maggiesue
I SURE HOPE YOU ARE UNDER A PHYSICIANS CARE,IF NOT FIND ONE,IF SO CALL THEM.

TO SAY HOW LONG FOOT DROP WILL LAST,DEPENDS ON AND IF AND WHERE A LESION IN THE SPINE MAY OR MAY NOT BE.

I HAVE HAD DROP FOOT STARTING A YEAR AND A HALF AGO,I WEAR A KAFO ON THE RIGHT LEG AND A AFO ON THE LEFT.

NOT EVERYONE DEVELOPES BILATERAL DROP FOOT ( I ALSO HAVE A NERVE DISORDER OF THE SPINE).THE AFO'S HELP.

A WALKING AIDE ALSO WILL ASSIST YOU A CANE OR WALKER.THEY  WILL NOT HELP THE DROP FOOT.BUT WILL ASSIST IN HELPING WITH YOUR BALANCE.

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR DR. ASK THE DR. TO CHECK THE DROP FOOT, PHYSICAL THERAPY CAN OFFER HELP.

KEEP US POSTED

T-LYNN