Multiple Sclerosis Community
I did it!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I did it!

Ok, friends!  I finally filed for Disability.  I completed the online application yesterday.  I consulted a few local atty's and they will only represent you once you are declined the first time.  I hope they give it a thumbs up or down sooner rather than later.  If it is no, I might need to teach a night class to help ends meet.  Night classes are really rough on me and the entire family.
I hope you don't have to go through all that!  Hopefully it will all work out good for you.
Good luck !!

Some people get it right away, some people it takes 3 times filing and others get it once they get a lawyer !  

You never know with Disability!  Keep pushing though if you get declined!!!!
I was one of the lucky people who was accepted the first time :)

Here are some things that worked for me:
- fill in app on line, which you already did!
- make an appointment with your rep at the local Federal bldg.
- when you get the appointment, bring ALL your medical records including test results  Bring a letter from your neuro stating that you are permenantly disabled due to the dx of MS.
I also brought a letter from my employer stating that I have been on extended sick leave from work. My neuro had sent my employer stating that I was on extended medical leave until further notice because I had fallen at work (MSrelated). I also brought this letter with me.

My point being, the more documentation you can show, the better your chances of a quick, positive response.

I hope this all works out for you :)
Good Luck,
Deb
So, I filed last night, and they called me already today.  They counted my two adjunct teaching classes as a "failed attempt to return to work".  I was shocked when they called that quick!
Does this phrase indicate that they don't believe you have tried to go back to work . . . or . . . do they believe you've attempted to go back, but were unable to work?

It may be obvious, but I am having trouble understanding things today.  I can't tell if you received good or bad news????
I'm impressed!  I was too overwhelmed/scared to even try to file for disability alone. All that complicated paperwork!!  I was lucky to find a lawyer who would take me from the beginning.  The good thing is that, even if you are denied, once you get approved they give you retroactive benefits.  But you probably already knew that.
I had neuro-psych testing that said basically that I was would be a terrible employee-or impossible.
So good luck with your process......fun fun!
risenrrose,

I think it is good news.  she said that I tried to return to work on a part time basis, but was unable to do so.

I am fortunate to be married to a husband that makes a good living and provides good insurance.  However with growing children and the economy the way it is, we could really use the income.  My dad has been helping us out with a lump sum each year.  Every year we have needed it sooner and sooner.  I know that getting this benefit would help me reer more rounded children, and get some help with the household chores that I just can't do anymore.

I took me months to come to the decision to file.  In a way, I still feel guilty, but if I don't file now, my points will begin to expire and I will have to work along time to earn enough to qualify again.  It is a shame the way this thing works.

I will keep you all posted on what I find out.
Update:

I called today to tell them that I had a followup with the Pelvic floor specalist.  They should be abel to give me a decision by March.
I also looked into my state retirement fund.  I can also apply for disibility here.  I have 8 years of service.  I could qualify to "retire" as if I had 25 years of service.  that would be 50% of my last two years of full time service averaged.
opie74,  I would also like to encourage you to get a letter from your Physician stating you are unable to maintain gainful employment due to your illness and also, if the Dr. will list some of your problems. ie, fatigue, bladder issues, cognitive difficulties, etc.

Best wishes to you!
keep exploring all these angles - you never know what else you might discover you are eligible for.  The disability through retirement is great news.
hugs, L
Fatigue seems to be one of the biggest reasons for getting approved for disability.  I would think cognitive stuff too - I shake a lot too - practically vibrate sometimes.  Have so much trouble typing -need unexpected naps - trouble w/ vision.  Bladder issues.  Just keep at it!  

Just have to say, I am jealous!  Took me almost 2 years to get through the process. Although I heard Ohio is the hardest state.  Wishing you continued smooth sailing...
Michelle
I just expect some kind of answer by March.  I pray it is yes, but you never know.
2 years????????   Horrific!!  But they did they at least give you your money from when you first filed??  I thought it was all federal regulations - not state.  I mean, Social Security Disability IS federal.  ??  Strange.  Sorry you had to go thru that.  Imagine how much money  the government spent by putting you thru all that too.  Just plain stoopid.
         Marcia
Each state hs to verify it for their residents.  I know it is a strange process.  In Mississippi it is the state department of Rehabilitation.  If they approve it, then you are good.  If not, the you must appeal to a judge.  Then it depends of what federal jurisdiction you live in.  My district is notorious for saying no.  I live on the gulfcoast and they use the casino's as an excuse to find some kind of job.  a college roomate of mine is a disibility lawyer.  She actually moved her practice to a different jurrisdiction.