Multiple Sclerosis Community
I feel like water is running down my leg!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

WHAT IS THIS? It's a very weird feeling... if you have this how do you handle it? It's a new symptom for me as of yesterday, and I don't like it! I'm still shuffling and dragging that left leg... but it's slowly getting better.

It's been 13 days since my last flare started, I assumed that either the neuro would see me or after about a week I would return to semi-normal function that I had been at before. Neither is happening. :(

I added quite a few other new symptoms as well with this last flare, and I'm learning to handle them, I'm hoping they aren't here to stay! :)

~Sunnytoday~
Tags: legs, symptom
Good morning!

Isn't that crazy?  Many of us here have experienced that odd parasthesia.  That feeling of water running down your leg.  

I was watering flowers once, and couldn't believe I had poured the whole watering can down the front of me -- only to discover that I was completely dry.  Quix often talks about how she has worried that she has been incontinent, swears she needs to run for cover, to check her clothing  -- only to discover she is completely dry.  It's weird and very disconcerting.

I am not sure of the mechanics that cause it, but I imagine it's much like any other parasthesia.  A mixed signal due to demyelination.  Sounds like I know what I'm saying, but really I don't.

You really must keep track of this.  If your doc hasn't seen you yet (shame on him), keep a good symptom journal for when he does eventually get around to taking a peek at you.  Write down exactly what it feels like, and try to be coy about knowing it can be a symptom of MS.  We don't want him to think you're 'symptom surfing,' or searching the web for indications of MS.  Just detail honestly what you are experiencing.

Maybe even call again today, and tell them about this new sensation, and ask if you should be worried about it (you shouldn't -- it won't hurt you.).

Just my thoughts.

Hang tight, Sunny!  Feel well!

Zilla*
Thanks, I will say, it was rather odd and frightening... I did run and make sure it wasn't actually water- it happened when I was entering Walmart! :)

I'm trying to keep track of what is happening, but I know that a paper copy will not be helpful for my neuro- he refuses to read anything and wants the patient to tell him the sx. I was a little irked he wouldn't read my time-line, simply because my memory isn't very good and I needed that help! :) I know I forgot several important things- which are on my time-line- but he never read that. Oh well.

Thanks for the thoughts!
~Sunnytoday~
Well, then write down everything and YOU can read it to HIM, as if he's a child.  Let's try that one.  Unbelievable.  Irks me, too.

Hope you're feeling better, Sunny!

Zilla*
I read my list to the neuro.  Then I give it to him to put with his records, so that he'll have a copy of it.

Haven't had the warm water thing yet.  I've had the cold water thing on my thigh for a few months.
I will have to do that next time... i was unnerved by a doctor who laughed at me and asked what else I had on my list before he could leave. After that I tried to not read off of anything- but my memory and word recall is getting worse so any memory prompts I can use helps! :)

It's not going very well, I think that this last flare is holding on with both hands and I'm feeling very low right now.

Any prayers, thoughts, or hugs would be greatly appreciated.
~Sunnytoday~
Hang in there!  Get lots of rest, and try to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables - they always make me feel better.
Thanks... rest I can do... the awful exhaustion isn't very fun- it's like it washes over you and all you can do is sleep. :)

I'm trying to hang in there, it's just feels never-ending.  
~Sunnytoday~
I can't say that your flare will go away.  It's different for everyone!  But my worst flare eventually went away.  Long after I had resigned myself to feeling this way forever!  It took about eight months, during which I probably had a couple of small flares, extending the recovery time.
I'm not sure if it's a flair or what, but it would be good to know.  I had the feeling of water moving around in the center of my spine, in the middle of my back for the past 3 months.  

That feeling is subsiding, but the skin is still burning (feels that way-not really burning).  

On my last visit, my neuro said it's not really water moving around, that it's from the large lesion in my spinal cord.

Since the feeling is subsiding, and with reading this thread, I'm wondering now if it's some sort of flair too since it lasted for 3 months.  hmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyone have any thought of things like these being considered a flair?  Or, are they just on and off symptoms that can just last as long as they darn well please?

Be well,
SL
ALL,

I GET THE RUNNING WATER SENSATION AND HAVE EXPERIENCED IT OFF AND ON IN DIFFERENT AREAS.

ITS ANNOYING AND DOES MAKE ONE THINK THEY WET THEIR PANTS.

I USUALLY DON'T LOOK AT IT AS A FLAIR, BUT JUST ONE OF THE SYMPTOMS THAT ACCOMPANY THIS DANG DISEASE.

I'VE HAD IT LAST A FEW WEEKS TO MONTHS THEN GONE FOR AWHILE THEN REAPPEAR.

DEFINATLY NOTE WORTHY FOR YOUR NEUROLOGIST.

T
For me, it's a minor symptom that has appeared with a bunch of more major ones that are creating a flare... I'm dealing with walking problems, balance problems, foot pain, cognitive problems, increased jerkiness and tremors, and increased eye pain, and other sx that I can't think of right now (i'm too tired) these have all appeared or reappeared two weeks ago, and are makin life rough.

Thanks for all the thoughts.... I'm glad to know that this weird thing happens to others (not glad that it does though) just glad that i'm not alone. :) Grin.

~Sunnytoday~
What about the bugs on the leg sensations.
We live were there are tons of mosquitoes and blackflies and swatting them when there's nothing is really funny, ya no someday a big spider will crawl over my face and I'll think it's just another sensation, now that will be funny.

Harry
Harry has a really good point here!  We can't get too cavalier about the sensation of water running down our legs (which I have also had).  We should continue to grab our crotches as needed.  Otherwise  we may find ourselves peeing down our legs and nonchalantly ignoring it.  We don't want people to think we are blithering idiots now, do we?

What a nice thought to begin my Saturday with.

Carry on, and grab as needed.

Quizzles
I actually had to laugh... the other day I was watching TV with the family and I had the funny tingly feeling like usual and I ignored it until finally I looked down to rub the funny sensation on my arm and realized that a SPIDER was crawling on me! Needless to say, I started yelling and had mom try to help me find it after I pitched it across the room. We had a good laugh out of that one, especially since I was really jumpy for a while after that and made sure to check out every crawly feeling!

Have a wonderful Sat. evening!
~Sunnytoday~
I have got to the point where when I leave the house (which is rarely lately) I bought poise pads to use....if I go grocery shopping...I don't know if I need to go right away or if its too late etc...alot of the time I don't need it..but it does make me feel better..just in case

andie
This community is new to me.  I have been diagnosed with MS for approximately 4 years and I know this is bad to say but I see my symptoms as bothersome but nothing to worry about.  My symptoms range from vertigo, balance issues, slurred speech, slow thinking, drooling, and extreme coldness of the feet or hands.  The new symptom I have been experiencing is the cold water feeling in my shin area of my right leg (only).  When I tell me kids about it, I laugh and say the feeling is cool because it feels as though I have an IV in my leg and the cold fluid running down my shin.  My kids look at me with concern and I just say ‘until it hurts or affects my walking/moving I am fine’ with the nuisance feeling.  

I am just taking it in and realize that I now have a disease and need to be more acutely aware of my body and the changes that are taking place.  I do not want to sound passive or complacent...maybe this is my way of coping...
Hi and welcome to the forum. This post is 4 yrs old.  Try introducing yourself in a more recent post.

This is a great place for information.