Multiple Sclerosis Community
I need help

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I need help

I am having vision problems.  I am getting this single bright white flash in my right eye, sometimes it is bluish.  It's like a fire fly flash.  It's been occurring about two weeks. They weren't daily at the start but now are and, only two times a day.  I have also had some areas appear yellowish.  It runs horizontally in the lower vision area.  These issues are not affecting me other than it's a new  problem and since I am being tested for MS I don't want to dismiss anything that might be treated, especially my vision.

I went to opthamologist in 2006 for vision problems and nothing was found.  I still have problems with vision off and on.  Currently my vision is good. It's just this flash of light.  I can get in tomorrow to see an opthamologist that I saw before.  

Two years ago I had no idea that this problem and many others I have were related to MS.  The first I heard about this possibility was in late February from my doctor.  I have and LP scheduled for Wednesday.  

My questions are:  What should I ask the Opth.?  I'm concerned they will say "normal".  Do they look at MRI films if you have them?  If something is found (ON) is there something prescribed to stop progression of vision issues until MS is ruled in/out?  Perhaps I am missing some other important questions.  I welcome anyone's input. I have read that a Neuro Opth. is best but don't know if I can get that scheduled quickly so I want to get what I can.
Tell your opthamologist what you have told us.  If you are having an issue with optic neuritis the opthamologist should be able to see by looking at your retinae.  However, sometime the problem is in a place that cannot be seen by just looking at the retina.  Other than viq an MRI I am not sure how else this can checked.  I am sure others who frequent the form can help.
I had the 'exact' symptom that your are describing in my right eye, as well.....I went to an Opthamologist and it was found that I had something called Posterior Vitreous Detachment.  You can find it online and it's very common.  
Essentially, the jelly-like part of your eye deflates which causes that lightning like visual. I'm not a doctor, and I can't explain it properly, but there's a lot of stuff online about it...
Also, I am NOT saying that this is what is happening to you, but the things you described were exactly as I experienced them...
I think you should go see a doctor because the eyes are nothing to play around with.
Take care
Tammy
I too have had these happen to me OFTEN and I have been diagnosed with MS for over a decade.

I agree with the previous posts.  Your eyesight is nothing to fool around with.  This is one thing that is best checked out by the experts.  It may or may not have anything to do with Optic Neuritis.  But I personally would not take that chance.  This is best left for a eye doctor to tell you.

Call for an appointment PLEASE and let us know what the eye doctor tells you.  I would be most interested.

I hope you feel better.  I will be saying a prayer for you....couldn't hurt!

Heather
Thanks for your responses.  After reading the posts I pulled notes from Opht. visit of 2006.  It indicated PVD and gave warnings for RD. However, they still referred me to another Opth. I got the impression that this diagnosis didn't cover all the other symptoms.  In 2006 I was having, flashes of light, foggyness, wavy lines, extreme light sensitivity, items jumping up front, many floaters and others all in my right eye. The second opinion added Vitreous Opacities.  A month ago I had this clear veil like movement across both eyes.  Obviously now I will mention MS and possible connection.    

Wingnut, I read this is common above the age of 65, I'm 42.  Do you know anymore on PVD.

By the way, If anyone can tell me something about the LP procedure.  They said in and out 1 hour.  Should I insist I stay longer to avoid headache.  What is this blood patch I read about.?  Thanks, Anamaria
Hi again

I really don't know if there's any relation between having PVD and MS....I also have Kerataconis (sp?) and Asteroid Hyalosis in that same eye...It's horrible...

I just wanted to let you know, also, that I'm only 39!  I read that about the age thingy too, and it baffled me....I guess I'm an old woman in a young woman's body...LOL
(that's how I feel most days, anyway....)
I was actually curious about my eye problems/MS relationship, but never asked....I'm just at the point where I'm going to let THEM all figure it out...  :)
Please, like Heather said, get this checked out and soon..
Tammy
Tammy
bump
I just posted a comment on this..

OMG,,

Wow thats all I can say,

This happened to me today at work and it was so strange... like all the other symptoms.. I thought i'd just post it here and see if anyone else has had this experience or if i'm just losing it..

Thank you