Multiple Sclerosis Community
IV steroids, are they worth it?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

IV steroids, are they worth it?

My MS Neuro is out of town but we spoke before he left and set up a care plan in case my symptoms worsened while he was gone for the next 2 weeks.

My  symptoms are major fatigue, muscle jerking in my hands and arms (probably myoclonus); dragging right leg (new sx), increasing loss of proprioception especially on the left side; muscle weakness while speaking, so after 5 min or so I sound like I have laryngitis; increased word finding abilities

My neuro wanted to give me the IV steroids 5 days ago. I didn't really want them since my previous experience with them did not relieve my vertigo symptoms.

So finally , my question is ..Has anyone taken steroids for anything close to my new symptoms and did they shorten the  relapse?

Ren
Hi Ren,

I've not taken steroids for a relapse. Was it only vertigo last time? And, how long did it take to feel a bit better.

I'm sorry to not be much help. I understand it can help shorten it. My worst attack was so bad, I'd have tried it because it lasted a good 5 months and only showed some signs of minimizing after 3.

Are you able to get any rest?
-shell
I can't speak from experience since IV steroids are not in my treatment plan. You are on a higher level of relapse than I have known you yo be so I vote yes.

Alex
I have had two treatments now with steriodsx5.  The first time I felt so much better!  I could even walk without pain.  It felt like a miracle to me.  My second round, I got so sick!  I still am not sure if I was just in a bad time or if all the new drugs that I had been put on or if I had an infection that caused the entire mess!  I do know after I was put on the third antibiotic, I began to feel better.

I am due for another round in a week.  I am going to do it.  I know it takes the swelling down and indeed I had felt better the first time.  If I get sick again...then I am sooooo done with them!
Hey, Ren. I probably should not be commenting here, since I've never had IV steroids. Still, here I am.

You've been in this flare for two weeks, give or take, and you seem to be worse, not better. Past steroids did not help with vertigo, but you don't mention vertigo among your current symptoms.

So, if I were you, I'd give the steroids a go. You could experience cr@ppy side effects, true, but you could also feel much better much sooner.

Always here for you, no matter your choices.

Hugs, friend,
ess
Thank you for your input. You kind folks have pointed out things I didn't want to admit (things are getting worse, not better).

So, I have started the ball rolling and home health is supposed to call me today to fit it in to suit my schedule.

Thanks again!!!!
Ren
Hiya Ren,

I would start the steroids as well.  You are suffering so, and perhaps the steroids will do the trick!  I will start the rain dance now...

Hugs and good thoughts coming your way...

Michelle
I've never had steroids it's not in my treatment either.. the Neuro doesn't think it would help with me.  But you seem to be worse and maybe try it out.  

let us know how things go and I hope you have no side effects.
take care
wobbly
I am sorry you have to go through all these symptoms.  No sooner than you get over one thing, vertigo last time, your body comes up with something else to throw on your already full plate.  

Did you doctor say anything about what is going on here when you talked to him?  How many days did he put you on, 3 or 5?

I hope it helps but watch out for those nasty side effects.  You done this a few times now, so you know that already.

Hang in there chickie and get better soon.  You know we have to plan that slumber party up here.  

Hugs,

Julie

Ren,

Sorry I'm late to your party! I am glad to hear that you got the ball rolling for your IV.

I have had both 3 & 5 day treatments for similiar stuff and actually just did it 10 days ago. Even though my symptoms feel like they are coming back a bit I am very glad that I did the IV this time. Maybe should have had 5 days instead of 3?

I had a full week with no symptoms and lots of energy and hardly even noticed the side effects this time. Tell me doesn't that sound wonderful to you right now?

I vote yes but I'm glad you didn't wait for me, lol. Feel better and keep us posted.

Hugs,
Erin :)

I've used IV steroids on 3 separate occasions.  The last time I took them - for ON - they worked very fast, as in within the first 24 hours.  Within a few days all of the intense eye pain and blurriness was completely gone.  They also worked well in the past for some sensory symptoms (MS hug, Lhermitte's, neuropathic pain in feet) and less well for others (neuropathic pain in hand, double vision, numbness).  Initially one gets the sense they are helping with fatigue, but for me this has been short lived and more of a side effect of the steroids than resolution of the chronic symptom.  I have suffered no ill effects from the steroids, I have always felt better, during and after treatment.  This is a tough one because some experience awful side effects and this makes this treatment intolerable no matter how much it might help shorten the duration of an attack.  It sounds like you have made the decision to go ahead, and I really hope it brings you some quick relief with minimal ill effects.  And if they don't seem to help initially, try not to get discouraged, as they may still be helping you to recover more quickly than you otherwise would have.  
Home Health was a little slow getting things rolling but tomorrow I start a 3 day round of Solu-Medrol. Please keep your fingers crossed this helps because I'm beginning to feel worse each day.

Thank you for all of your advice and encouragement!!! I knew you guys would give me a straight answer and you did. That's what friends are for , so thank you friends!

Ren
Ren,
  They do take a long to time to get going and it feels longer because by the time we are waiting we really need/want some relief!

I hope they do the trick and you feel relief in the first 24 hours - thinking of you and sending healing hugs!

Hugs,
Erin :)
I am alittle late in the game and a rookie to boot but I vote for the steroids.  Anything and everything you can do to better your chances always gets my vote.  May be short term crap for some long term (or maybe not so long term but a shot at least at some) gain.

So sorry you are in this position.  It ***** but you seem to be holding your own.  You go girl!

Julie