Multiple Sclerosis Community
Ibuprofen / headaches

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Ibuprofen / headaches

Dear all,

Peace to everybody.  Hope everyone is doing well, or better.

Quick question:  Does anybody suffer from daily headaches/migraines, or weird pressure-like sensation in the head/neck?  I had this for about a year when I suffered my first undiagnosed attack about 12 years ago, and I've had it for 10 months already since my optic neuritis in April.  What do you do to treat it?  It doesn't prevent me from carrying out with my daily life... but God, it's annoying.  Really annoying.

I've noticed that ibuprofen helps, but I'm reluctant to start taking Advil daily.  Should I tell my Neuro?  What's the best course of action?

Thanks for your patience.  I'm still learning, and learning, one day at a time.

Abrazos,

Pablo
Hi Pablo, yeah I suffer from the daily headache with varying degrees of OUCH. Sometimes just a 'normal' annoying tension-type headache, other times a  full on classic migraine, other times again migraine-aura type symptoms which I cannot figure out if they are migraine of MS.

other times my ears feel really blocked during the headache, pressure etc. Also get  a sore neck.

All i take, due to my paranoia about drugs in general (thanks, adverse reactions of the past!) is Panadol, which is paracetamol, similar I think to your Tylenol? But I have to take it daily lately too. I was just today at my dr and asked if I might be getting rebound headaches from taking too much, but due to other things going on and my  age and gender, he was more inclined to think it was menopause-related. GUess that's off your list though!

I don't know if taking advil daily warrants an actual visit on its own, but I would defintaly bring it up next scheduled visit - UNLESS there is a dramatic change in the headache behaviour prior to then..

Good luck!

Jemm

PS any news on the move down under>? I had no joy in my research this end at all - fat lot of help I am !
I also have the pressure on the back of the neck, more noticable after ON episodes!
Am still unDx, can't have MRI

I take Aleve every day for my headaches 2 in the morning and 1 at night
I have lots of headaches. I use Alieve but not daily. I discuss over the counter medications with my GP. Over the counter like other medications have benefits and risks and interactions with other medications. They all effective and some people can take some and not others. I for instance can not take tylenol because of drug interactions and my liver. Headaches are very complicated mine run with my asthma. The better I am doing with controlling my asthma the less headaches I have.

Alex

I have been through periods when I had ongoing headaches and I was taking what I considered far too many OTC headaches tablets just to give me relief. In the end i tried a different approach and went and saw a dietician who suggested some changes to my diet, and also that I had candida of the gut. I followed her instructions and my headaches disappeared and it was only then that I realised how much they had intervened in my daily life.

This is obviously only relevant to me but it is not advisable to take ibuprofen ongoing as it can upset the gut longterm.  Anyhow I wd suggest that you mention it to your gp and if it gets worse then contact your neuro

Best wishes

Sarah
Chronic use of acetaminophen (paracetamol) can be toxic to the liver.  It is better to discuss this with your doctor and pick an appropriate medication.   Acetaminophen  far below the toxic dose taken on a daily basis can lead to liver damage.  While ibuprofen can upset the stomach, there is a second drug, Cytotec (Misoprostol) that can protect your stomache while taking NSAIDs  There are also enteric coated NSAIDs that do not dissolve in the stomach but dissolve in the intestines.

We should always let our doctors know all of the medication, including over the counter, herbal supplements, vitamins and other substances (Medical Marijuana? - Depends where - you have to use your head on this one - it is a patient right here in Colorado) that we might be taking.

Bob