Multiple Sclerosis Community
Idea for Health Care Reform

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Idea for Health Care Reform

5490969?1269187428
I have a blog that I've started in regards to Health Care Reform and I've come up with a couple of issues and I'd like the MS community to read and look at my current idea, plus a bit of satire, the part of the blog I'd like you to poll is about our gov't giving each and every american a portable usb storage device for storage of important personal medical information, like allergies, recent diagnoses, current drug regimen, etc.  Also, if you want feel free to comment on the blog also.
50%
 (2) 
It's a good idea, but.
0%
 (0) 
It's a great idea
25%
 (1) 
Bad idea entirely
25%
 (1) 
Stay out of our lives
4 Members voted
Hi SuzieQs , you didn't tell us where you blog is hosted?  

Instead of a USB device, how about electronic records that every health care provider can access? I am in favor of centralized records and think in the long run it will help to control health care costs.  

A thumb drive can go bad - I've seen it many times.  A USB device can get lost  too easily - talk about a possible breach of patient privacy if it gets in the wrong hands.

Are you also an MS patient?  Welcome here  - I hope you will find this site useful.

my best, Lulu
Sorry bout that thought I had posted the link.

http://bit.ly/ATHCRBS
It's a nice start.  I like that it addresses pre-existing conditions.  None of us are insurable if we lose our jobs and subsequent COBRA coverage.  

I would love to see universal coverage, but not necessarily in the same style as UK or Canada.  I've seen Switzerland and France in action first hand and their national health coverage is fantastic!

Many foes of the bill cry "Socialism!".  Isn't Medicare socialized medicine?  None of them want their Medicare taken away.

Just my $.02.  I don't usually wear my political heart on my sleeve.  I'd like for us all to have the same medical coverage Congress has!
I just sat through a state legislature  health sub committee meeting on medical information. Very interesting. Duke Hospital has gone to electronic records. If you are a patient in the system you can look at your labs on line. Ironically my old neurologist would not let me see or have a copy of my LP report. When I switched to the MS Specialist at Duke there it was when I looked at my account because I had the test done at a Duke hospital. My MRIs are permanently in record as well. No more bringing cds with me exams. If I go to the ER there they are.

The draw back is a friend of mine was hospitalized and even though she gave them her current medications, the nurses kept trying to go by information on the computer from several years back and give her the wrong medications or dosages.  There has to be human back up to technology. Also Duke charges an extra fee every time you go to the Doctor for the technology. So my other neurologist was $60 a visit and Duke charges another $60 so every visit is $120 ouch.

The stimulus money is available to any state willing to put forth a program on electronic record keeping and very few states are interested. Indiana is doing some good things with medical technology.

Ironically the ones who do the best job at compiling medical information are health insurance companies. All are medical records go to one place in the country for all insurance companies. They can collectively take any disease such as MS and know what treatments have been effective and which ones have not. They know how many MRIs are done in a year in this country, etc.

Alex