Multiple Sclerosis Community
Identical twin with MS - triggers

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Identical twin with MS - triggers

Cross-posted with the genetics community:

My identical twin has MS and also experienced multiple miscarriages due to antiphospholipid antibodies -- Antiphosphatidylethanolamine (PE).  I know identical twins are unlikely to show clinical signs of MS -- the chances are about 1 in 3.  But I'm about to undergo IVF and I'm now wondering:

1.  is there is a genetic component to the elevated antibodies?  Am I likely to also have the same problem?
2.  whether an autoimmune "flare-up" due to pregnancy could be something that would "trigger" MS in someone genetically susceptible (like an identical twin).
3.  whether, because she also experienced life-threatening pre-eclampsia during one of her pregnancies, if there is a genetic component to that condition as well (I gather there is not, from what I've read)

Just trying to gauge the risks and these questions involve very complicated areas to research....
Hello, I too have MS and went for IVF. I do not know if you've already gone through it. I now have twins thanks to the procedure. I had multiple miscarriages before hand naturally and one through IVF which is common. They do not know why I was miscarrying since everything seemed to be working fine. I suspect my body was fighting the egg, but there was no proof.

Funny thing is, pregnancy seems to put aside MS symptoms. Most of the time, you do not get an attack during pregnancy they believe it may have to do with build up of estrogen and possibly prolactin (the milk you produce). Somehow your body is able to get itself into gear while pregnant. And even more interesting, you are less likely to have a MS attack while you breast feed if you choose to. But you can have a relapse once you stop. You also may depending on your MS and how your body is dealing with it, start having a relapse up to three months after you have a baby, but still breastfeeding does seem to delay that little problem.

If you do get pregnant with IVF, you should not have anythign to worry about. MS does not automatically mean you will have fertility problems. If you have somethign else going on in your body that can make it difficult, that would most likely be the concern. I do wish you luck!