Multiple Sclerosis Community
Incontinent question

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Incontinent question

I have never really experienced an incontinent episode until yesterday.  Although, like many women if I sneeze hard I may squirt but beyond that nothing major.  When I got home last night after work, I did need to pee, but before I could get in the house I noticed a package at the front door.  When I kneeled down to pick up the package I felt warmth, like the dreaded period, but I shouldn't be having it.  I rushed to the bathroom thinking it was a period but was mortified to learn I had pee'd myself and not just a little bit.

I feel like I am driving you guys nuts lately with questions, it just seems everything new is happening all at once instead of trickling in....pun intended.  :) So far nothing has happened today, should I mention that incident to my neuro Thursday?

Love ya'll!  Shannon

Sorry to hear that this is happening to you.  I always make it appoint to let my doctor know about any new symptoms.  I just call the nurse for my neuro and have her/him make note in my records.  Mainly because I might not remember to tell him months later.  I to have had this happen once so far.  I was lucky it happen while getting out of the shower and dropped my towel, when I went to bend down to pick it up SURPRISE....  It scares me to death that it will happen in public.  
Hope things stay good with you.
Leanne
Peeing because of sneezing or laughing, etc., is stress incontinence, which happens to many women, especially those who have borne children. It's not a part of MS, and is sort of 'normal,' considering the wear and tear our bodies go through. Having to  pee suddenly and desperately and then losing it is urge incontinence. This and having no signal at all, just losing it, can well be an MS thing. The sequence of nerve firing and muscle relaxation gets fouled up because of demyelination, and this can happen anywhere along the path from brain to bladder.

I don't know that I'd mention one instance to my doctor, particularly if I were already bringing quite a laundry list of other problems to the appointment, but on the other hand, it couldn't  hurt. You would likely be told to see a urologist, so be prepared for that. I see a uro-gynecologist, kind of one-stop shopping. There are urodynamics tests using sophisticated computer equipment which can tell a lot about what's happening in our nether regions.

I found all this useful in the MS diagnostic process, since my tests were very abnormal in a neurological way and there were no other explanations but MS. Those already diagnosed might want to take a wait-and-see approach for a while, meanwhile doing pre-emptive strikes by visiting the bathroom based on time and not urges. I'm still learning this lesson but there's nothing like a public accident or 2 to raise the old consciousness. Been there.

ess

Hey babe,

I'm thinking this would still fall under 'stress incontinence'......Common signs of stress incontinence - "Activities that can put stress on your bladder include coughing, sneezing, laughing, lifting heavy objects, or bending over."

http://www.healthline.com/health/female-urinary-stress-incontinence#Overview1

If you were already aware you needed to go to the toilet and whilst you might not of been hopping around like an idiot whilst trying desperately to get the front door open (definitely been there lol), you probably were likely holding on until you actually got to the toilet like anyone would normally do......but the act of physically bending whilst your bladder is full and needing to be emptied, would actually be squashing the bladder and that kind of direct pressure can cause the already weakened pelvic floor muscles to fail, a little or a lot.

Personally, i don't have stress incontinence but i've had urge incontinence issues for years now, a couple of summers ago I first experienced loosing the signals that i needed to go. First time we were at the beach, I'm in a bikini slur chatting with a g-friend lol and without 'any' warning my bladder just started leaking. The light bulb only went off on what was happening, because of the feeling of warm liquid that was running down my inner leg, my bladder continued to trickle leak without warning all day long.

Now unintentionally weeing in amongst a bunch of people and whilst wearing a bikini is not the kind of exposure i'd recommend but it taught me a) the situation could of been a lot worse lol b) most people probably won't even notice any things amiss if you don't draw their attention to it and c) remember to wear a long beach skirt when ever i'm wearing my bikini :D  

Cheers.........JJ

ps do you do any pelvic floor exercises?      
I was leaning towards the stress incontinence too but the only difference was I couldn't feel it in my urethra. There was no feeling at all.  It has not happened at all today but as soon as I needed to pee I made a bee line to the bathroom.  The little old ladies I X-ray would totally understand me wetting myself but everyone else would be disgusted.  

I have never heard of a  uro-Gyno.  That sounds pretty amazing.  I sure don't want to see yet another doctor. It's hard enough getting out of work for MRIs and neuro visits. The bikini thing.  Girl! I can't imagine. Did you make run for the ocean?  

I am sticking with preemptive strikes unless something happens.  I hope my husband doesn't tell on me. He goes to my appointments because he knows how bad my memory has gotten.  

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the advice
Oh and yes. I do the kagel exercises. Maybe today I did a ton more!!! Lol
um sort of, I believe i made the excuse that I needed to get Hobo back in the cool water before 'he' over heated, lol he's a long haired golden Retriever x Labrador and he'd started fussing lol think whining whilst trying to get his nose near my crutch area ROFL he was probably the only one besides my self who knew what was going on....a girls gotta work with what ever she can :D

Cheers.......JJ

PS "Oh and yes. I do the kagel exercises. Maybe today I did a ton more!!!" lol kagels a girls best friend :D
LOL!  Hobo was trying to blow your cover!  Smart move on your part :)
You gals are making me laugh! I. Have had a lot of problems wth retention, but have yet to experience a accident.

I am waiting to see a urologist but it has gotten better with stopping my elavil.

Sometimes at night I will wear a pull-up because sometimes this tricks my body into relaxing and therefore I can urinate when I have to get up to go pee.

I think it is because if I know that I will have an accident I am protected. The mind is a powerful thing lol.
All the best,
Barb