Multiple Sclerosis Community
Ingrown toenail removal for relief of spasticity

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I had my 4 ingrown toenails removed in February. That would be the sides of my big toes, and the complete removal of the nail on both second toes in.

I have to tell you, it really has helped relieve the spasticity cycle that I was going through. But....................... hehe. I wear big heavy, sweaty work boots. These things are steel toed, metatarsal'd, water proof, shock proof, puncture proof you name it. Well long story short, 2 months and still fighting the pain from the removal. Some days, wow! These things are never going to heal. I know people that have had it done, and are back up to normal in just a week, so I'm not saying don't get it done. I am actually still happy I got them removed, but I am warning anyone out there, if you have a job that requires you to be in big bulky boots, expect a long recovery time. I've read and have been told that 4 months recovery in not unheard of.

The real scary part of the story is, that the Doc couldn't get my right big toe numbed. I told him to do it anyways. Let me tell you, I found out that I was tuff as hell that day lol,  AKA - PAIN.

Still, It really has helped with that monthly cycle of the spasticity attack, so I do recommend it to anyone who has this kind of problem.

Sorry if I'm all over the place here, my meds have been giving me cloudy brain lately.
Have a great Easter weekend everyone.
Remember Jesus this weekend
John
Spasticiy can come from an improper muscle response to sensory inputs.  
1.Your toe hurts.  
2. Your brains says "Burns"
3. Your muscles "pull back" incorrectly and continuously.  

This is one of the reasons that the teach that spasticity is not just a muscle problem but may be a muscular response to a sensory issue.  

Bob