Multiple Sclerosis Community
Intercostal Muscle Spasms

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Intercostal Muscle Spasms

Intercostal Muscle Spasms (both internal & external), i.e. between the ribs
("internal" meaning towards the middle of the body, "external" meaning towards
the outside of the body)

Every so often, when I lean forward to get up, or lead down to pick something up,
I get a quick, deep stabbing pain, on my left side, in the lower ribs (internal intercostal).

My doctors (Primary, Cardiologist, & Neurologist) maintain, that it's Intercostal muscle spasms,
"probably" associated w/ MS. That there is nothing to be concerned about (i.e. it's not a heart attack
or heart related), but also there is nothing they can do about it.

Does anyone else have this experience or symptom?

-- Socrates2k1 (i.e. Stan)
Hey Stan,

I was dx with Intercostal muscle spasms back in 08, the entire left side front to back of my rib cage was spasming, locking down (agony) for awhile before it relaxed again, it kept repeating over and over for days. It comes for upto a week and then goes for months and months. I do have what i think of as little intercostal spasms or flutters, which is just a couple going off and not 1/2 my ribcage. For about a year or so my ribs had become so inflexible that when i stretched, i let out a very loud crack lol loud enough to silence a room.

Do you by any chance also experience a banding or squeeze feeling around your rib cage or torso?

Why i'm asking, is that intercostal muscle spasms are commonly associated with the 'MS Hug'  there are other things associated with it too but it could possibly explain what's going on with you. If you 'search this community' there is a lot about the hug that we've discussed over the years and it might be worth checking out more about it to see if it makes sense.

Cheers.....JJ    
JJ,

Yes, absolutely, I have been dealing with a continuous MS Hug, for several years, which my doctors also say are intercostal muscle spasms, by definition.  Yes, my MS Hug, feels like having an "ace bandage" wrapped snugly around your torso and chest.

Thank you, for your time, consideration, and cooperation, I truly appreciate it.