Multiple Sclerosis Community
Interstim Therapy

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Interstim Therapy

I'm wondering if anyone out there has an Interstim implant for bladder issues?  I just saw the urogyno today and she recommends I consider it but pointed out that I wouldn't be able to have MRI's anymore because of the device.  The details are in my journal titled "what's next" if you want to know more.

If you have one I would like to know how you handle the neuro checkups of your MS progression.  Lulu
Gee, Lu, I'll check out your journal. But unless you're dissatisfied with your 'intermittent cath,' why change? Doesn't the other kind cause infections sometimes? If this way is working, why mess with it?

ess (Still learning how to do it but getting better)

Hi Lulu,

New things just keep coming your way, don't they.

I am not speaking from any knowledge or experience, but I agree with ess.  

I would think that not being able to have your MRIs would not be a good thing.  You need to have them so that you will know that the DMD you are using is working, i.e. no more new lesions.

Of course you are the one who has to deal with the "intermittent cath", and I'm sure that's not great fun, so you have to choose what is best and most comfortable for you.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!!!
doni
hi Lullu,

i'm not sur e wher r   my posts are about it.
i treid a trial therapy three   years ago .
un fortuantly it was not a sucess for me and had the trial
removed    after 3  weeks   trail.
please let me know what I can tell you.

i think somewhere is my posts  but i don't know where.
amo
Thanks Amo ffor the reply - I will go searching for your post.  Maybe I can find it. Have a good day, Lulu
My son is currently facing the same issue.  When we asked his neurologist about how it would affect having MRI's he said he saw no problem with it.  That he should be able to still have MRI's.  So now I am concerned.  It may be a moot point though as the insurance company turned down the placement of a permanent interstim device despite having paid for him to do the trial device.  It did greatly improve his bladder from being overactive but he did still have to cath.  But then the trial device was only in for 2 days and maybe it would just need a little more time to kick in once the bladder has been calm for a period of time.  I am hoping you can tell me what happened with you since this is an older post.
Hi Zashin,

I am still ISC and did not have the implant done.  My neuro is still adament that I not let the urologist do this if there is any way around it. So far intermittent self-cath, drugs, and timed voiding are holding the problem off.

I think some of the MRI protocols are being changed now for these implantable devices.  I just heard about a ICD (implantable cardiac device, aka pacemaker) that has been approved for being in the magnetic field.

The interstem is resetable by making a phone call to the manufacturer - I'm thinking medtronic is close to solving the MRI problem once and for all.

As far as I know, no one here has this implant but some are debating it.  I have read really good things about it's success.

Is there any way to appeal the insurance decision for your son?  Bladder problems/lack of control can be the quickest way to make us reclusive and withdraw from the world - it seems inhumane to withhold treatment that works.

best, L
I have MS and had the Interstim in for 3 years when is simply didn't work.  I did Medtronics tweaking that they recommend but got tired of going back and forth.  I had it removed in favor of maintaining my MRI option.  No, you cannot have MRIs when they are in.  However, my uro said it has JUST been approved for the head only if you have an Interstim.  I'm researching on my own.w. What I am doing is PTNS nerve stimulation . http://tinyurl.com/n4jkyen.     It does the same as the Interstim but is external and the treatment consist of an 30 min application for 12 weekly visits the refreshing  with a set of 3 anywhere from 3 to 18 months.
Medtronics on MRI and other therapies and their Interstim:

http://tinyurl.com/lsgutmm
With the InterStim one can still have brain MRIs.  I have PPMS so my MRIs don't show any changes. Thus, my last MRI results before getting my InterStim was a mute issue as far as discussion item with my neuro.  I have a neurogenic bladder but it's the underactive bladder type (UAB), not overactive like most have.  My primary concern as well as my urologist concern is my bladder retention. Most problematic part of UAB is the hesitancy and weak stream, however. Before InterStim it was not unsual not having the urgency to void when waking even though I could feel the pressure of a full bladder. I tried a smooth muscle stimulant med but it did nothing for my bladder but messed up my eyes and gave me higher blood pressure, Thus, the reason for the InterStim.  I am in my second week after the permanent implant. I am still making changes in the amplitude and program settings to get the same results I got with the external stimulator during the test week. I am still quite sore (black & blue) from the wire and implant surgeries but each day that gets better.