Multiple Sclerosis Community
Introduction

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Introduction

I’ve been here for almost two weeks, but haven’t completed the requisite introduction. I’ll start by saying THANK YOU to all the members and co-cls. You guys have already answered so many questions for me and have been extremely supportive and thoughtful. I appreciate it tremendously.

I’m 36 and live in Southern California. I’ve always been one of those ‘super-busy-running-around-way-too-fast’ people. I work full time, freelance copywrite on the side, I’m taking post-baccalaureate classes at my local university in preparation for grad school, and I’m in the middle of completing grad school applications with the intent of getting a master’s degree and making a career change. I also volunteer as a mentor to a high school student through a local community organization.

Early last year I fell twice going down the stairs from my apartment. “You need to be more careful!” everyone said. A few months later, my left arm started aching really bad and my hand went numb. My doc surmised that I had pinched a nerve when falling and sent me to physical therapy. My hand was still numb afterwards, so I saw an orthopedist, then a neuro. The neuro did a bunch of tests, and in the meanwhile my hand sensation returned to 99% normal but my feet and my entire right leg went numb (so weird!). MRI’s showed lesions on my c-spine and in my brain, so my neuro did an LP and said the results confirm MS.

I feel like one of the luckiest people on earth right now because my diagnosis came less than 6 months before I plan to quit my job and go to grad school. So far, my insurance has paid for all of the testing, and I’m pretty confident the DMD I am supposed to go on in the next couple of weks will be covered too. My heart goes out to all the people struggling to figure out what is going on with their body and how to afford needed healthcare.

I’m wishing everyone the best and I am so glad we can all be here to support each other.

- J
Dear J

I'm glad to meet you! You do seem to be a lucky person. I'm glad you only had to be in limboland for 6 months. Speaking as a veteran of falls, you are also lucky to have managed to avoid any serious injuries during your falls and instead received a speedy diagnosis.

You do sound like one busy lady! I wish you only the best in grad school. I'm glad you found us and hope you'll stay and keep us updated about schoool, your MS or whatever strikes your fancy.

Cordially,
Ren
Jane,
I'll ditto Ren's welcome.  This really can be a great place to hang out , learn more about MS and share experiences, and I hope you will do just that.  There are some people who get a quick dx (I am one) and it always makes me feel good to hear of someone else who didn't linger with questions too long.

Welcome again and we'll see you around.
L
I am so glad you got your answers quickly.  You will read my questions periodically about my son Jordan age 12.  We are in "limboland"  just highly suspected MS.  This is a new year with promises of new hope and knowledge.  I am so glad you are here!  I have learned so much from this forum and have met so many positive, amazing and supportive people.  I wish the best to you in your endeavors!
Hi Jane - Welcome to the (Not so) Wonderful World of MS :-) I was also the beneficiary of a fast diagnosis. It was about 3 months from latest episode to confirmed diagnosis this past October.

There are lots of helpful folks here so ask away!

Kyle
Welcome!  I too received as somewhat speedy dx - 6 months from first appt with neuro -  while this disease is what it is the people here are the best and if you have to deal with this at least we are among friends!

Keep us posted on your treatments and good luck in school!
Hi Jane.  It's nice that you took a little time to share a little bit about yourself with us.  I've seen you posting on here a few times already.

I'm glad that you had a fairly quick diagnosis and you're heading towards starting Copaxone.  

You're fortunate that you won't have to work while going to grad school.  I remember when I went, it was really hard to find the time to do anything - it was always, read, read, and read some more.

Take care,
Kelly  
Thank you, everyone!

Kelly: Don't jinx me! I haven't secured funding for grad school yet... And now I need to make sure my health insurance doesn't lap during the transition.
*I think I can, I think I can, I think I can*