Multiple Sclerosis Community
Is brain "shaking" or "vibrating" a common symptom

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I was diagnosed with MS about 6 years ago. I've been on Tysabri for 3 months. Lately I've been having a lot of dizziness it comes & goes but for the last week I just never feel fully "recovered". Last week I got this incredibly strong feeling like my brain was vibrating & shaking & I thought I was going to pass out. It probably only lasted maybe 2 minutes. Then I got it again today for a matter of seconds. Both times it happened I wasn't doing anything. The 1st time I was just sitting at the computer & today I was just standing but I had to grab a hold of my desk. I admit that I didn't eat much on either day but the fact that I feel "loopy" now worries me.

I've also been dealing with seasonal allergies. Does anyone else ever experience this? If so, does anything help.
Hi there, i'm having a bit of trouble working out what else "brain was vibrating and shaking" could mean, MS can be pretty weird sometimes but i'm pretty sure the brain can't do that. Sorry, i'm probably just confused with your choice of words, to describe what your experiencing.

I gather, your body is not physically shaking, or your heads not shaking, the only thing i can think of is visual? It's possible that your eye(s) are actually shaking like what happens with Nystagmus, a common visual sx of MS. I'd be getting your eyes checked out to see if it is visual, there are things like prisms that have been of some help to some, though not all.

Cheers........JJ
I agree that the brain can't physically shake but the sensation that it is doing so seems common. I have had this for many years and although sometimes it is minimal when it is bad it can make you feel very light headed and faint even slightly nauseous.

I have asked around many others with MS at my MS gym group and it seems quite common but I can't get an explanation as to why or what with this one. I also think like supermum that it may be brain / eye coordination (although not necessarily nystagmus as I don't have that) check if it is as you turn around sometimes, which mines is frequently although not always!

Sorry I can't give a more accurate explanation but sometimes it helps to know you are not alone.

Pat x
Yes it definitely helps to know its not just me. I don't feel like my brain is physically moving its more of a vibrating feeling, hard to explain. I have had my eyes check but I don't have any problems with my eye movement.
I've had this and know exactly what you're talking about. It happens to me when I'm sleeping. I feel this buzzing inside my head, like part of my brain is buzzing. Then it spreads. If it gets to the level it encompasses the whole inside of my head, then it spills over and my muscles start jerking all over the place.

It's at this point I try to wake myself up and often end up dreaming that I'm waking up to go about my day, only to wake up when it's over and find out I wasn't awake at all. Very odd experience, like a dream inside of a dream, if that makes sense.

One neuro thought it might be a touch of narcolepsy. Another neuro called it nervous system hyperexcitability and offered klonopin for control. Since it's not bothersome (happens to me either after just falling asleep or just before waking up), I declined the klonipin (klonopin) and just accept it as an occasional part of my life that will come and go like everything else.
I get brain "zaps" but I don't know if it's the same thing. Like an electrical pulse in my head. Mostly it happens if I miss a day of my anti-depressant...but I have gotten it other times as well.

Like I said, don't know if it's the same thing as you're describing... So many symptoms are so difficult to describe!
I know exactly what you are talking about. I get them. It feels as if your brain is shaking (quick and light but enough to make you feel very odd. The sensation is extremely strange. It is unlike the zapping feeling of missing a day of anti depresant/s. I do believe it is something within the ey-- but feels like more in the brain. It is a strange sensation for sure.
You know what... if you chew a corn nut (something extremely hard and crunchy.. you may see a vibration through your eyes.. well,,, that is somewhat what it is like but feels like it is the brain.
Hello everyone, my wife Kim has started to have these just the past month or so. She swears her brain is vibrating, now we all know that the brain isn't really doing that but that is what it feels like to her. She has been living with MS for about 8 years now and we just had her eyes checked and they are ok, she got a little stronger pair of glasses but other than that they are fine. I was wondering if anyone has gotten anything from their Neuro other than skipping anti-depo's? I help her stay on top of all her meds.
I have had the brain "buzzing" sensation many times. I also have been diagnosed with permanant nystagmaus in my right eye. I think the two are related. I am on Klonopin and the vibraitng/buzzing has minimized to almost nothing. The Klonopin is also used for my muscle spams since Baclofen didn't work.

I do think it's an eye/brain correlation but that's just my opinion  and it hasn't been confirmed by any of my neuros along the way.

Ren
I know exactly what you're talking about - In fact, I have it right now. It feels to me like something is chewing on my brain along with the vibration/buzzing and dizziness. I am not diagnosed with MS, although I do have myoclonic jerks and a host of ortho/arthritis issues. Guess it's time to get back to the NeuroDoc. i hope somebody posts with an explanation of what generates this feeling.
wau, i have had this shacking sensation for month or two, that it wakes me up, as i am feeling building may be shacking under me, i live on 16th floor, but then when i slept on ground it was same think. For me is notjust brain but whle body. I checked blood preasure and it is perfect. I wonder what it is?

I can add to this, i am "sensitive" hae been since early childhod, i cansence things happening ahead of its time, like war (i escaped war zone before it hppened) earhquaqe, hurricane, and i now i think is something much bigger, like there is shifting of earh under us and some people who are sensitive may have that inner connectin of their body to Erth Body.

My brain keeps doing this weird **** (it used to do it every now and then and it'd still freak me out even then) where I'll just be standing there normally talking to a customer or drawing, and it legit feels like it's shaking, or moving around in a sort of vibration inside of my head. And when it happens it's like my nerves cease responding and I stop talking and stare for a good solid 5 minutes, and I am completely aware I'm doing it but I can't do anything else.

And then it fades away and everything is normal again. Now it's doing it frequently to the point that it could do it twice a day, or maybe just a few times during the week. It happened three times today at work. People just look at me like 'wtf are you on'.

I have no bloody idea what it is, or means, but it seems to be happening more than it used to and it's sort of troubling.

I should also add that when it happens I am totally exhausted. Like I could be wide awake and it does that and I feel like I could just pass out for good.
I also have had this happen to me.

Grim all the responses it seems pretty common.

It actually felt like my brain moved, we all know that is not possible

I just put it down to another weird MS feeling.
My head shakes so violently. It's like someone is holding my brain and shaking it the way a paint stirrer shakes a can of paint. This goes on all day, every day.  Of course, you can't see it because it's inside. It's like my brain wiring is wrecked. The only relief I get is when I'm sleeping. It makes it so difficult for me to walk because it has such a profound effect on my sense of balance. And the shaking generates pressure that builds throughout the day. By evening I'm a total wreck. Does anybody suffer like this all day long? Doctors say it might be my MS but they don't really know for sure. Does anybody suffer like this all day long?
I also have a terrible 'fullness' (pressure) in my ears that gets more and more intense as the day goes on. By evenings it is so intense it's painful. I try to equalize the pressure in my ears using the same tricks you'd use on an airplane when the pressure changes too fast. But the relief is so temporary. Please let me know if any of these things have happened to others reading this. Please! Thank you.
Hi. :) Have the doctors done any tests for you or have you seen an ENT? I hope you'll find out the cause of what's going on and be on your way to feeling better. It sounds like a very painful and scary thing to endure every day.
Tons of tests. Nothing shows up but the MS lesions. No one is able to explain.