Multiple Sclerosis Community
Is it neurological or am I imagining it?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I developed Alopecia Areata in July this year after a very stressful situation. It made me sad and anxious. One day after I came from gym after a long cardio session, I went to bed without eating and woke up really late when I started to feel muscle weakness and numb in face.It should have been apparent to me that I was severely lacking sugar.But I was alone at home, panicked and went to ER. There they did test for hear attack and electrolytes and everything was normal, I was discharged and when i was happily getting ready to go home the doctor advised me to see a neurologist to rule out the possibility of MS. I was not aware of what MS was at that time, I happily walked home, ate lunch on my way and felt totally fine. Its when I searched MS on web, i started to really panic and somehow started to feel numb.The next day I went for a massage to feel good, the masseuse used so much force that I sometimes cried in pain. She also squeezed my neck and head which I hated as it felt funny. After massage, when I went to bed in the night, back spasm rocked my body. I was like a mild rhythmic jerking of body which was apparent when I sat down or slept. And it won't go away. It was there 24/7
I went to neurologist, told him everything, he assured me I was perfectly fine, but sent me under MRI anyways to rule out any MS possibility. My head and neck were scanned, I went through all the pictures/scans along with my doctor to make sure we were looking at MY scan and there won't be any mix up, Yes by that time I had turned into a hypochondriac. He also did nerve conduction on my limbs and afterwards gave me a "perfectly clean bill of health". It should have been end of that nightmare, but somehow it did not end there.
My mild body jerk was there, I was also developing severe sinus pressure in my head, nose and eyes. I went to eye doc who ruled out any abnormal ocular pressure or anything else after total eye exam. But my sinus pressure kept building and there was no runny nose or anything. Also my GERD was getting worse and worse, I can not eat anything without having heartburn, except veggies.
My body jerk has gotten worse since last few days ( I feel it more), it sort of calms down when I take large dose of Potassium but its always there. Its as if my whole upper body is moving back and forth at 1.5Hz frequency.And somehow I have a feeling its all originating on my left back, just below my shoulder blade. I am not sure.
I am sure I have: Bad case of Acid reflux, Sinus and severe anxiety, hypochondria.
What I suspect: some nerve damage that occurred during the massage. Also I get random muscle spasms nowadays here and there. When my sinus pressure is real bad, I feel like my facial muscles don't function fully. I am trying to relieve if by afrin and OTC meds (insurance expired).
What should I do? I am going to my home country India in few weeks and medical stuff is super cheap there, so I can MRI, CT all I want.
Is it all in my head or something is actually happening here? My BF saw the mild upper body/trunk jerks/humming and confirmed its actually happening.I am otherwise ok, have not lost any weight etc, sleeping fine, regular bowl movements etc.
HELP PLEASE.
Muxa,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry for the panic of possible MS due to the mention by the ER doc. However, I'm glad you went for testing and exam that caused no concern for MS by the neuro. That should bring much relief.

Did the neuro say what could be the cause of the the uper body jerks?

-Shell
Thanks for the reply. I think when we were going through the results together, I was so relieved that I forgot to bring up the issue of upper body jerks with the neuro. Also the nerve conduction was fine. He did ask me to go back if I felt something was going on, but due to insurance issues can not go back now.
Has anyone heard of having peripheral nerve damage because of a bad massage? Cuz, my symptoms trace my memory back to that day, it all started after that massage.