Multiple Sclerosis Community
Is this Foot drop?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Is this Foot drop?

I am having trouble with what MIGHT be foot drop. When my right leg is fatigued I can not go back on my heel on my right foot. I can hardly get my toes up off of the ground. If I sit in a chair I can not bend my foot upwards at the ankle. I can run my right foot along the inside of my left leg though.

I can not walk on my heel on my right foot. I am a 44 year old who is in pretty good health and I am only about 15 - 20 over weight. I can keep up with 5 children age 10 and under with very little help. Having a body part not work for me is not normal!

I am just wondering if foot drop is constant or if it is worse when the leg is fatigued. Even when my leg is rested I can not get my right foot can not go back on my heel easily.

I catch my toes and front part of my foot easily. I am wondering if this is foot drop of just weakness in that leg and foot.

LATW
Any idea?
I have had "foot drop" and basically it is muscle weekness of a specific set of muscles that lifts the foot and toes upward.  This is very noticeable and somewhat dangerous when driving a car.  Whether it stays or goes can not be predicted.  For me I had it bad during my exacerbation, it then remitted and got back to normal, but now many months later it will become mildly present towards the end of the day and after I've taken my shoes off.  I assume fatigue is the determining factor here.

jonm
Thank jonm,
That sounds like my situation. Driving is difficult because it is my right foot affected. I was just wondering about this because I need to point my foot problem out to the doctor. I have decided to go to a MS clinic to get to the bottom of my crazy life right now.I just wanted to be sure I was not too goofy sounding! When I have been off of my feet for a while my foot seems to work. But after being up and around during the day it doesn't. Thought I was going crazy!

latw
nothing crazy there, thats MS.  They may recommend a foot brace for you.
jonm
Youcertainly sound like you have foot drop which is a form of weakness.  The muscles in front of the shin, slightly to the outside called the tibialis anterior, contracts to pull the toes up and lets the toes clear the floor during walking.  As that muscle gets weak, the toes drop down tripping you on lit things like raise sidewalk edges and stairs become very difficult.

You need to maintain whatever strength you still have in that muscle, but I suspect Jon is right and you will need a brace called an AFO (Ankle Foot Orthotic).  An easy exercise that you can do while sitting in a chair:  With your feet flat, raise your toes and forefoot off the ground as far as you can.  Hold for 10 seconds and repeat.  Do this several times a day.  

I want you to repost what you wrote on the thread "What it took for a Diagosis of MS" and put it on the main forum page in a new post so you have your own thread, discussing your symptoms.  Your post got buried where you put it.  I am going to answer it and I will copy my post to your new one when you do it.  Okay?

Quix

Does it make sense that foot drop would be worse as the day goes on then? After I am rested it is not all that bad. As the day goes on I started to notice I catch my toes on the steps or stub my big toe. I keep shoes on to try to avoid that as much as possible.
But having shoes on is not always helpful because I tend to catch the my foot on the floor. The front part of my foot does not always clear the floor. I have fallen at times because of this problem. Never knew what the problem really was though.

I did post my other question in a new post. Thanks!!

L
I have bilateral foot drop,wear AFO on lrft foot and a KAFO on right,try the exercise that Quix recomended.

Be careful about the tripping and falling.Shoes will not prevent the foot drop.If this persistant definately talk to your DR.An AFO may be needed.

They aren't the most attractive but they do help.
Oh yes. I have fallen because I get my foot caught. I thought I was just clumbsy! Or getting old.  I will be seeing a new doctor in a month. So maybe she will actually LISTEN to me!

L